Fuse keeps blowing

hiya mate.

tbh it doesnt sound "that" bad lol...

the lights seem about right (remember i'm not a spark) as 6amp i believe is normal.

the sockets usually have 30AMP per floor

the cooker i couldnt tell you without looking in my own CU. i thought it was 40A but that might be wrong.. other posts on here will have that info already though.

I think the easiest way forward is to have those sockets removed from the circuit they are on. then see if it sorts the fault.

if you need those sockets, then speak to the spark about getting them put on the right circuit. if they are in the kitchen then i think they need to be protected but he can explain that when you see him as i couldn't give you accurate advice on that. :oops:

Sponsored Links
Well,

Electrican just left. Turns out that the socket and shower had stopped working due to a broken cable. Had been wired with lighting cable. Also, to make matters more intersting he ran the boiler and shower together (which I had not done for a long time) and of course no fuse blowing! I'll have to play it by ear but so far so good.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and help. This house is cursed so not doubt I'll be posting again soon!

I'm not sure about regs for the circuits, but i've never known sockets to be on the same circuit / fuse as the shower. (except for sometimes the shower pump & fan)

are you sure they are on the same fuse / circuit?

Remember this is a power shower, so it's quite possible that it could be spurred off a socket.

Sponsored Links
can someone confirm the right terminology pls, i think i've got myself using the wrong name for the wrong thing lol

i thought a

power shower = cold only mains feed with element to heat water
power mixer = hot & cold feed with only mixing chamber & pump

power shower = high current on dedicated heavy duty cable from MCU
power mixer = very low current & taken from fused spur

is that right?

Power shower usually refers to unit fed with H & C and pumped out.

A large kW rated shower is an electric shower.

I would say:

power shower = electric pump only. These will of course have some kind of mixer valve. The pump can be a separate item, or in a box on the wall similar to an electrically heated shower.
electric shower = one which attempts to heat the water using vast amounts of electricity.

I wouldn't call any electrically heated shower powerful as that implies a significant water flow at decent pressure - something which electric showers cannot provide.

No - they can't.

But they can provide reasonable shower after reasonable shower after reasonable shower after reasonable shower after reasonable shower for as many people as you like for as long as you like without ever running out of hot water.

Something no power shower can ever do.

"modest" shower, I would have said, rather than "reasonable"

now, thats a strange debate i didn't expect lol

i have always preferred electric showers. never seen one that could do more than spit water hot enough to shower in <9kw

however some 10kw electric showers have been brilliant.

power mixers meanwhile i can't say i've ever liked. nor have i ever installed for anyone / no one has ever asked me to...

popular opinion then for your own showers is power mixers???

well, i'm shocked !! :eek: :eek: :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back