Thermostatic radiator valves - what setting?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a standard scale on radiator valves, eg. 3 =18C or is it random?

I watched a video last night explaining how they work, based on springs and expand and contract based on room temperature, and push down a pin, or release it, to control the heat.

So it would make sense if they all used the same numbers (more sense if they put the actual temperatures on them). Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I tend to put them all at 2.5 and then if a room feels cold turn them up a bit at a time until happy with temp of that room.
That way corridors stay cold (and cheap) and rooms I am in are warm.

From the following website:
https://www.energuide.be/en/questio...-thermostatic-radiator-valve-correspond/1524/

The numbers or scales on thermostatic radiator valves do not correspond to a precise temperature but rather to a level of comfort. Through trial and error, you will find the setting that meets your needs!
It is not possible to precisely convert the scales of your thermostatic radiator valve to degrees Celsius. This depends almost entirely on the layout of your room.
However, an approximate conversion can be made. Taking this as a guide, here is an approximate conversion table:

Valve position Reference temperature Recommended setting for
* ___ 6°C Frost protection
0.5 ___ 12°C
1 ___ 15°C
2 ___ 17°C
2.5 ___ 18°C
3 ___ 19-20°C
3.5 ___ 20-21°C
4 ___ 22°C
5 max. ___ Valve completely open

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back