Thermostatic Radiator Valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had TRVs fitted to all radiators apart from both bathrooms, and also apart from 2 rads in the kitchen/diner. The main CH thermostat is in the kitchen, so when the temperature gets to the set level the heating switches off. This means that the upstairs heating and living rooms also switch off.

Do I need to disconnect the main thermostat control and fit TRVs on all rads instead?

Sponsored Links
heeellooo joshdhardias

your thermostat should never be in a room with its its own heat source
it should be in a neutral place [no aditional heat other than the radiator]

i dont know the answer but the clever boys will come along in a min
and give you an answer

big all

Big is right about the extra heat source, eg cooking Sunday roast may switch your heating off! Anyway here's one I made earlier regarding Building Regs Part L in relation to automatic bypasses and TRV's. Non of this is compulsory unless you change your boiler.
You should have a roomstat and programmer (basic) or programmable roomstat (best practice). Lockshields only in the room where the stat is located, ie the place you want the warmest (or equal to it). TRV's on all other rads. You've then created a wonderful thing they call 'boiler interlock'. Idea being that individual rads turn off on trvs and boiler turns off when stat satisfied. No unecessary cycling of boiler. No need not to leave the lockshield rad unbalanced because the auto bypass will open when necessary. There is no 'this way' or 'that way' anymore, just their way. They even have a C&G for it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I have no option but to move the main thermostat from where it is now. No idea why the previous owners of the house put it in the kitchen, but the daft thing is I asked the plumber who installed the TRVs if there would be any problem with this conflicting with the rads and he said 'No'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back