THERMOSTATIC SHOWER VALVE TROUBLESHOOTING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ever since I had my shower installed (about 4 years ago), the temperature adjustment valve has been very very stiff when I wanted to turn the temperature down. Stupidly, I never got the plumber back in to snag it, but it now seems to be getting worse, so that it's impossible to turn the shower down to anything less than uncomfortably hot.

I've taken the front off the tap, and have played around with just adjusting the valve thing itself. It's strange, I can start at a cool temperature below 38c, depress the safety button and take it to about 40c, but then there's like a quiet 'click' or a 'clank' in the pipework behind the panel, and I can feel a slight 'click' on the knob, and suddenly it goes scalding hot, and I can't turn the knob back cooler again... If I push the knob really really hard, I can force it back in increments. The same thing happens even before I get to the point where I depress the ready safety button, I can't turn the temp down again.

The movement seems to be perfectly OK (if a little 'sticky') until I actually turn the water on, then it just sticks as described above. It's very free to rotate anti-clockwise to make it hotter, but just won't go clockwise to make the water cooler again.

It's driving me mad. Any advice would be gratefully received. Would attach an image, but not sure how to do so!

Simon[/b]

Sponsored Links
Would attach an image, but not sure how to do so!
See the FAQ - I did it today!

You may well have dirt or limescale in there. If you take it apart, preferably with a service kit handy, and clean it out it might get better.
If you can't find a make you're stuck, but some silicone grease would be worth getting before you start.

DSCF0003-2.jpg

Thanks for the note, hopefully this will be the image! There's no make anywhere on the fascia...! The problem's always been there since it was new, just that now it's become much worse so would it really be limescale build-up?[/img]

Might be a Grohe.
Scour a few manufacturers' sites.
it can always be dirt.

Sponsored Links
OK, thanks. Would that mean taking the valve itself apart? Do you think its something a novice could do?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back