Thermostatic shower valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all

I've just had a thermostatic shower installed in a shower cubicle that runs off a combi boiler. However, I can't seem to control the temperature, its either getting too hot or too cold.

When I open the tap fully and go to extreme BLUE, HOT WATER is coming out and when I go to extreme RED, COLD WATER is coming out.

The questions are:
1. Has the plumber connected the hot pipe to cold end and vice versa? Does it matter to which end you connect the hot water and which end you connect the cold water in thermostatic shower valve?

2. If it does, can you still control the temperature by doing opposite of hot and cold water sign on tap?

3. Could the valve be faulty (brand new when bought)?

4. Do they sell any valves that have HOT supply on the left and COLD supply on RIGHT (looking at it from the front shower area)?

5. Would I need to install a normal wall mixer (not thermostatic) in which case I believe it does not matter which end is hot and which end is cold connection?

Sorry for the long mail and thanks for your responses in advance.

Kindest regards
Kunal.

Sponsored Links
The questions are:
1. Has the plumber connected the hot pipe to cold end and vice versa?

Yes.

4. Do they sell any valves that have HOT supply on the left and COLD supply on RIGHT (looking at it from the front shower area)?

All of them, though some are reversible by turning something,, or if you put them in upside down :rolleyes:

HI again

Just checked the back of valve (through bedroom's wardrobe) that the pipes have been connected incorrectly. HOT is on the RIGHT side and COLD on the LEFT side looking from the front.

Fitting it upside down, would make the shower pipe hang the wrong way and also the marking for hot and cold would not be visible.

At the present moment, we cannot get a steady supply of lukewarm water, its either too hot or too cold :((

Do they sell any reversible valves or valves where HOT can be fitted on RIGHt and COLD on LEFT?

Only certain valves can be reversed... Crosswater are one example.

It'll probably be better to change the pipes round. Get the installer back to do it properly.

Sponsored Links
how old is your combi? is it a fully modulating one or not? May be a contributing factor tot he extreme hot/cold.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back