Thermostatic Shower vs manual mixer

PFE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, first time poster.

we have recently had a new thermostatic mixer shower installed fed via a gravity system.
This was to replace a manual mixer tap/shower combination.
Cold water tank is in loft so pressure and flow was never brilliant but acceptable.
The new mixer was placed at the opposite end of the bath to the old tap/mixer ( to improve visual appearance as you walk into the bathroom:cool: )
Flow rate appears to be significanctly less (I have no figures and obviously cannot now get the old flow rate).
Questions:

Do thermostatic mixers provide a restriction to flow and is it possible i would see a benifit if i changed to a manual mixer?

Is it likley that increasing the length of pipework to the shower head has introduced more losses with a consequent effect on flow rate?

Any thoughts from anyone gratefully received.

PFE

Sponsored Links
Thermostatic mixers will balance the flows according to temperature, standard mixers let you do this yourself with the taps. Thermostatic mixers often have gauze filters to keep dirt out of the poppet valves, check these if you can but in general the waterways in a thermostatic valve are more complex so if your pressure was borderline before it may be as simple as that, pressure loss through the valve, standard valves are more or less straight through.
Hope this gives you an idea :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back