Thermostatic Valve leaking heat back up cold feed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Thermostatic valve directly off the top of the cylinder.
I get the impression that the hot standing water is leaking heat back up
the cold feed pipe.
Would a NRV or loop be advisable or is that standard for that type of valve?

And of course the valve could be faulty

Sponsored Links
Its fairly unusual to have a mixing valve at the cylinder. They are usually placed at the point of use!

Why was it put at the cylinder? It would usually be to save money rather than having one at bath and another at basin.

Tony

It was an after thought. The water is heated by a stove and gets dangerously hot so I put a TV straight after the hot feed on the cylinder.
The big people don't watch the little people enough so I had to govern the whole house. And since my 3 year old came down, got the chair over to the worktop, scissors out of the drawer and scalped the plants on the window - an accident is inevitable.

Unless it is set to 55C take it off and fit mixing valves near the outlets. You have removed a risk of scalding and replaced it with a risk of bacterial contamination of your hot water supply. Even more so if the hot is back feeding up the cold down service. The legionella bacteria will be having a field day in your cold water storage cistern.

Sponsored Links
I do have it set to 60c (140f). The valve is a Legend and the range of it is 100-140.
The valve is just getting rid of the last edge of very hot water.
Would you still recommend removing it?

60 is fine but you need a single check valve on the cold feed to stop the heat convecting back up into the cold water pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back