thermostatic valve radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently installed a new radiator in our central heating system.

The temperature of the room is governed by the thermostatic valve connected to the radiator.

Unfortunately the radiator exhibits the following symptoms.

1. Only gets warm even after 2 hours of continuos operation.

2. The pipe entering the radiator via the thermostatic valve gets very hot.

3. The pipe leaving the radiator is warm at best.

Any comments or suggestions please ?

FLYNNE

Sponsored Links
I am not a plumber or heating engineer.
Have you tried bleeding the radiator?, TRY THIS FIRST

If you have try taking the radiator off and flushing it out

Dear Breezer

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I apologise for not telling you that I have already bled the radiator , thoroughly flushed it and indeed the whole system.

Any further comments please.

FLYNNE

Apologies for stating the obvious, but if the pipe up to the valve is very hot but only warm after it and you have bled the rad etc, then it sounds as if the valve is not opening properly. Have you tried it at different settings? What is the ambient temperature of the room - ie is the room warm to start with and therefore is the valve working as it should in restricting the flow?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have the same problem as FLYNNE with a raditor in the living room. I have tried various setting on the valve, to no effect. The system is fairly new (less than 2 years) and all the raditors downstairs get only warm at best, with the raditors upstairs getting very hot. Someone told me that it could be just a balancing problem ?
I'm not sure if this is the case as the pipe leading into the valve is extremely hot. Could it be that the valve is not working or blocked somehow ? One other thing is that all the thermo valves in the property have 3 switchs near the underside of the valve. One I think is a locking switch as it is arrow shaped with the arrow head pointing towards the heat setting number on the valve. But I've no idea what the other 2 do. The other 2 are more like hair pins which you can push into the vavle from underneath and engage or pull out. Is anyone familiar with this type of valve ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back