These Whirlpool tumble driers going up in flames......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got one.

So a year after contacting Whirlpool to get the product made safe, the guy turns up today.....yayy, great customer service Whirlpool.

However, the guy hung around about ten minutes (I wasn't at home otherwise I'd have questioned him).

He refused to carry out the work because our electrical installation "is not safe" due to "having an Earth Loop Resistance greater than 2 ohms without RCD protection".

Leaving aside the irony of Whirlpool lecturing customers about electrical safety, surely his job is to fix the machine?

Our current setup is a fuse box with circuit breakers. Is that deemed unsafe these days?

Any thoughts and advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Can't comment on that one but I was offered either a full repair or a new drier for £49. New one it was!
John :)

He refused to carry out the work because our electrical installation "is not safe" due to "having an Earth Loop Resistance greater than 2 ohms without RCD protection".
Well, firstly that is too high - see //www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:MCB2

Secondly, it might be a problem with your wiring, not the supply, in which case an RCD is not the right fix.

Thirdly - WTF has it got to do with him? As you say, his job is to replace the flaky bit in the appliance which catches fire.

Leaving aside the irony of Whirlpool lecturing customers about electrical safety, surely his job is to fix the machine?
Indeed it is - I advise the following.

1. Write to them, and ask them to explain why a too-high EFLI means that they cannot replace the flaky component in your machine.
  2. Contact Which? - They are taking a very dim view of the way that Whirlpool have handled this issue, and would be interested to of more poor behaviour.
  3. Get an electrician to check out your EFLI problem.

Can't comment on that one but I was offered either a full repair or a new drier for £49. New one it was!
Good for you - my brand new one from them cost £52 (and the old one was ancient, so more-or-less due for replacement, anyway :) )..

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
  • Write to them, and ask them to explain why a too-high EFLI means that they cannot replace the flaky component in your machine.
  • Contact Which? - They are taking a very dim view of the way that Whirlpool have handled this issue, and would be interested to of more poor behaviour.
  • Get an electrician to check out your EFLI problem.
4. Contact Trading Standards, and Electrical Safety First, both of whom are monitoring Whirlpool's response to their faulty products.

Thanks all, much as I suspected.

Sound advice, I will be contacting all of the bodies mentioned.

I bought an Indesit IDV75 on the strength of a Which? Best Buy report....they are now classified as a Don't Buy.

I got a letter about a safety recall. Rang the number, was told it was not one of the affected models.

I got another letter a few months down the line. Rang the number, was again told it was not one of the affected models.

Don't know where I am now... just waiting for another letter saying it is one of the affected models after all....

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back