They wont let me build to the ridge line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my local area, 3 out of 5 end-of-terrace houses that have a loft/dormer conversion have done so by building up to the ridge line. Before I started my project, I thought I could do the same. However, my approved plans do not allow me to. Of course, neither did the plans for the others. They (the majority) have built there's illegally but gone unchallenged for many years it would seem! Architect knows this of course, and submitted what he knew would get passed.

What's the point of a planning permission if the council is not sending someone over at the end to verify things were built as per drawings???

A friend (bit of a gung-ho property developer, you know the type) says do it! The risk of being asked to take it down is low (he's been doing them and no one has objected in over 10 years). No one's light is blocked. No one suffers. Builder says it's my risk and he would not advise it.

A side question. Isn't this rule (about making an extension look like an extension) a bit stupid? Who cares if the extension is nicely blended into the rest of the house making it look like original? What other purpose does it serve, I'm genuinely interested to know.

upload_2021-12-22_13-11-26.png

Same council, allows s*** like this to take place! ...

upload_2021-12-22_13-38-33.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-12-22_13-10-19.png
    upload_2021-12-22_13-10-19.png
    543.1 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Most councils have policy guidelines for side extensions which insist they are visually subservient to the original house; one of the ways to achieve this is by insisting on a lower ridge line for the extension.

If that's your council's policy, whether or not it is a good policy is irrelevant. :(

I believe the idea is to stop a semi detached st from becoming a terrace.
That rear extension with plain tiles on is crazy!

It's right that there is control and design standards otherwise it's a free-for-all and the area ends up looking like some sort of favela.

However it is often the misinterpretation of design policies and the intention of the policies is often forgotten and the literal interpretation is made instead by the planners.

That ridge for example, true it is often a policy that ridges are not raised (intention - to harmonise the roof lines and street view amongst similar properties). However you could probably stick one or two additional storeys on the house under permitted development, and that makes a mockery of any 'no raised ridge' policy.

The idea around extensions being harmonious but distinct as later additions is that the street does not just become a bland mass of similar looking buildings , and also that in a historic context it is evident how different generations were living and how society was changing.

Whilst works are not inspected afterwards, there is provision to take enforcement of planning breaches several years afterwards, and the thinking on that is that if breaches are significant enough to be concerning, then neighbours or the general public have time to report possible planning breaches.

Sponsored Links
The idea around extensions being harmonious but distinct as later additions is that the street does not just become a bland mass of similar looking buildings , and also that in a historic context it is evident how different generations were living and how society was changing.
A valid point, but we can safely assume that the average dullard, box-ticking junior planning officer currently Shirking From Home on Netflix-leave and full pay will not comprehend the point, viz:

Ridge-line lower__________________________ tick
first floor set back from frontage _____________tick
Roof tiles match__________________________ tick

Officer's Report:
Complies with saved policy DC23/H29b£xyz______________Approve.

Last edited:
A valid point, but we can safely assume that the average dullard, box-ticking junior planning officer currently Shirking From Home on Netflix-leave and full pay will not comprehend the point, viz:

Ridge-line lower__________________________ tick
first floor set back from frontage _____________tick
Roof tiles match__________________________ tick

Officer's Report:
Complies with saved policy DC23/H29b£xyz______________Approve.
The application is discussed in a meeting before a decision is made, so junior or senior planners do not have the final say.

Most domestic applications don't go a committee meeting, but are delegated to officers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back