Thin Screed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am about to level the floor in our kitchen. We have knocked trough 2 rooms to create a bigger kitchen dinner and the floor in the original kitchen is about 10 - 15mm lower than the other room. I have read on this site that thin screeds can be a problem. What would be the best way to raise the floor? I will be tilling over the whole area once level. Would I be better off just using a leveling compound??

Sponsored Links
Just to add to my post. The tiles that I am going to use are 60 x 40 natural stone and they are 10mm thick

What is your original floor construction? is it timber or concrete. If it's timber then just board it over with thin ply to the required level. If it's concrete then you would just have a thicker than normal grout under the new tiles. If that isn't feasible there are additives you can get for laying thin screeds, basically it becomes an epoxy screed these can be very thin virtually feathering away to zero thickness, but they are very hard and are usually a finish to the top of a concrete screed where a hard wearing or chemical resistant surface is needed. so probably a sledgehammer for a nut in your situation.

HTH

Alan

Sponsored Links
After looking through a few other threads I have found someone doing something similar. So I am looking to screed using a mixture of sand cement and 6mm Granno chippings. Can anyone tell me how much I need and what the mix should be for an area of 0.144mSq, (20mm deep)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back