Things to do when roof is stripped

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are having our roof replaced next week - Strip tiles, felt, batons, and replace all.

Is there anything I should consider doing whilst the scaffold is up and the roof is bare? All I have so far is check the insulation fitment around the eaves.

Seems an ideal opportunity to do... something, I just cannot quite work out what!

Cheers
Tim

Sponsored Links
Insulation , chimney pointing , fascia soffit and gutter condition. Refix all rafters . Check plate for wood worm and the like . Treat as need be
Get that disused water tank out of loft ...

Thanks for the suggestions. Fortunately I insulated last year (old 70mm vermiculite, then 300mm earthwool, and lay a nice big floor deck.

No chimney, removed that a while back. Will make a point of checking for woodworm and suchlike. Also remove the old TV arial and a boiler flue pipe (asbestos free). And clear out gutters and give them a proper clean whilst they are easily accessible - good point.

What do you mean @datarebal about refixing all rafters? Add screws / nails to the existing birdsmouth joints?

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Simply that , either re nail or screw rafter feet to plate, and at the ridge and any purlin.
Good practice often not done.

As Data suggests a small ish bucket of 5 or 6 inch galvanised nails and re-nail all the timber work with fresh nails

everywhere in Jersey is near the sea. Stainless or bronze nails are correct. Not galvanised.

Stainless are usually used into oak, Silicon Bronze into Cedar...
Its to do with type of timber more than anything else England is an island

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back