Think my flow & return are the wrong way round

That is true IF the pump is currently pumping upwards!

Can you advise which direction arrow goes?

I rather had it in my mind that the problem might have been caused by someone replacing the pump which I find is 90% of the reasons.

The cylinder looks fairly recent and it seems unlikely to me that someone who can install it neatly like that would not have noticed the boiler was wrong and also that the system could have been missperforming badly for so long.

So if arrow is upwards then ultimately pipes at boiler need to be crossed over.

Even so I still suggest you try reversing the pump as thats a simple DIY job and will correct most of the faults until you can get the pipework corrected.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tony the pump arrow is pointing upwards

I've only been in the house a month so I'm not sure what happened in the past. I do know they had a BG annual maintanence contract. The system was likely installed 8 years ago from new.

I'm amazed the previous owners didn't raise it before

Unless somehow I'm wrong about it, but the flow or hot pipe is definatly the left pipe which manual said is the return.

If I find the pump is seized onto the valve and I cause it to leak I'd curse myself as I'm not confident in being able to replace the valves or hold the pump steady whilst removing.

Think I will text my gas engineer tomorrow - busy busy but he will show up

Sponsored Links
If the pump arrow points upwards towrds the motor valves then that is correct.

Whilst you could reverse it on a temporary basis if competent to do so, ultimately the pipework near the boiler will need to be corrected there.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back