Hot water very noisy in operation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've narrowed down the pump noises I'm experiencing to being exclusively related to heating the hot water tank.

I used have an overlap of heating hot water and central heating but I've since separated the timings and it seems better this way but I noticed it's the hot water is the cause of what sounds like cavitation, fizzing etc through the pump.

It's a grundfos 15-60, latest type on speed 1 which is working perfectly. Central heating is quiet and heats perfectly. Boiler is ideal classic ff380 think its a 23kW output. Unvented megaflo CL210.

I noticed the tundish was showing a light stream of water so I replenished the air gap and this stopped. I checked the temp comtrols and both cyclinder and immersion are set to 60c.

I just don't know why it seems to be really noisy. I've bled the pump and unscrewed the cap on the return. It's a screw down metal type with no auto vent on the HW return although their is an auto air vent on the flow. I assume this is normal so it doesn't suck in air. I've tapped and bled the other.

If I try the pump on proportional pressure mappings I still seem to get the fizzing cavitation problem and then the central heating short cycles on PP mappings. I'm just surprised as I didn't think a pump speed of 1 would create enough rotational speed to create cavitation. So Im stumped as to what it is.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Its not just a Grundfos 15-60 !

Its a smart variant.

I don't see why it should be noisy on HW.

Presumably both pump valves are fully open?

Is there a flow balancing valve on the heating supply to the cylinder coil?

Tony

Ah I see

No I don't have one fitted at the moment. I assume you would fit a simple gate valve on the flow to close down and slow the flow through the coil to stop it whizzing around too quickly?

Yes both pump valves fully open

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back