1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking about buying a Grade 2 listed building...would these need consent?

Discussion in 'Building Regulations and Planning Permission' started by SkipFeeney, 5 Feb 2020.

  1. endecotp


    2 Dec 2013
    Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It won't be an issue, unless these are old boards (unlikely in a conversion, I imagine) and your carpet is somehow going to damage them.

    Fundamentally, do you like the idea of living in a historically-significant old building?
    If the answer is no, don’t buy it.
    I have a few neighbours who act as if it’s a terrible inconvenience to live in a 370-year-old building, and I think “so why on earth did you buy it?”.
  2. Sponsored Links
  3. bernardgreen


    3 Nov 2006
    Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It is in the best interest for the Conservation Officer to do and/or allow what is necessary to keep the building maintained. If that includes allowing some minor alterations in order to make it a viable family home for a family that will look after the building then the caring Conservation Officer will normally grant consent.

    Maybe they think that owning a Listed Building is better ( worth more money ) than owning an "ordinary" building. That said a Listed Building does have some protection from nearby land / buildings being developed to the detriment of the Listed Building
  4. Don't let the comments put you off if you really want it, you just need to apply for listed building consent, it doesn't mean your proposals won't be accepted if they are sympathetic to the existing building. Can't see carpets being a problem when they don't affect the listed fabric of the building and surely it should be possible to find a garden gate in keeping with the property. You just need to be aware what you are taking on .Assuming the existing building is in a reasonable state in the first place.
  5. DIYnot Local

    DIYnot Local

    3 Sep 2019
    United Kingdom

    If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

    Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

    Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local


Share This Page