Thinking Condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, new to site so hoping for some help/advice.
seem to have a recurring problem with damp in our bedroom, have attached a couple of pics here.
We have no leaks in the roof so I think its condensation but wanted some confirmation if possible.
Any ideas how we can get rid of it or control it better??
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Where the air has little movement - in corners at the top of walls and at the bottom of walls there is a chance for the walls and air to develop a large enough temperature difference for the wall temperature to drop below the dew point for the moist atmosphere in the heated room, when the outside temperature drops.

The resultant condensation on the walls and ceiling can create damp cold plaster bridging to the colder wall brickwork or loftspace.

It is fairly cheap and easy to introduce air movement in these areas with the sort of fans we use in hot weather to provide cooling draughts. Typically a 40 watt oscillating desk fan can keep a wall dry and free of damp spots if strategically placed.

Fans can also help to prevent windows and conservatories from developing condensation in colder weather. Closets, cupboards, and walls permanently behind furniture tend to develop dampness and mould, and a nearby fan can benefit these situations too.

Mould can be removed and discouraged from regrowth with proprietary mould removers or the much cheaper alternative of painting the mouldy surfaces with neat thick bleach, and allowing to dry, taking care not to splash the surroundings ant taking precautions against exposure to the vapours etc. Bleach will have no effect on the colours of the majority of modern paints, wallcoverings and polyester carpeting - except that of lightening tobacco stains etc..

Sponsored Links
I couldn`t help thinking of the hymn " Breathe on me, breath of God " ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back