Thinking of buying some timber.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No special projects in mind at the moment but am thinking of buying some stock for future ones.
My thoughts are some PSE, (which I believe is 'planed, square, edge). I'm thinking 75 x 25 is a pretty standard size which could be ripped or jointed to form smaller/larger boards.

Would this be a suitable choice? What do you think about the price? Cheap/fair/expensive?

20mm x 69mm Redwood PSE Timber | Howarth Timber (howarth-timber.co.uk)

Sponsored Links
I know it makes sense and I would normally agree but with the cost of things continuing to rise I'm just trying to save a few quid.

I thought timber and general building material prices were on the way down now?

Sponsored Links
2x3 CLS in 8 foot lengths at Wickes is usually pretty cheap. A lot of it is warped twisted etc. but there is usually enough in stock to choose good straight lengths and they generally stay that way in storage.

Blup

Problem is if it's to long or short it's useless or wastage. If you're not in a rush try eBay - I picked up bits and pieces for my extension, eg 13 lengths of 8x2 x4.2m for £100 - they'd just been used as vertical studwork for an office in an industrial unit that was being converted. I didn't need that long but the offcuts made perfect noggins.

Ukraine produces a lot of wheat so not just materials might go up in price.

Blup

I'd avoid the large branch places like Travis Perkins, B&Q, etc. as generally I've found them to be expensive with no improvement in quality. Occasionally they have offers on which can be good.

I do keep a bit of timber in stock and I also make things and sell them on FB Marketplace, so it's useful for that. I only go to independent wood yards now though -- once you get to know them they will offer you better prices. I also know two reclaim yards near me. When I was building the stud walls in the extension I was getting 8ft lengths of CLS at £1 which is still the case. They also sell full scaffold boards new at £19 a length.

Look around for reclaim places.

I try not to use the sheds for timber because, as you say, their quality/price is usually crap. We have a Huws/Gray (Ridgeons), near work which do some good stuff but we also have 2 independent yards who have good quality/fair priced timber which is all stored inside big warehouses instead of out in all weathers. Occasionally these two will have a sort of 'clear out' of some old stock and you can pick up a bargain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back