Thinning down emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fellow DIYer's

In an attempt to try to 're-kindle' a previous question can someone try and advise on the following:-

I intend using a short roller to paint some Dulux kitchen paint on newly plastered walls. For previously advised reasons I have no choice but to use this paint. I understand that the paint can have a tendency to run.

Very helpful previous advise pointed towards thinning emulsion to give a first class finish. Would anyone know how much as a percentage I should thin the paint by and should I thin each coat?

Cheers

Need Help 21

Sponsored Links
Hi again NH, I see that you are going with the 'dulux kitchen/bathroom paint.
Firstly I would advise not using that straight on new plastered walls, the properties in this paint are similar to Silk, and you dont use Silk paint on new plaster walls.

Give your new plastered walls a miscoat of 'contract matt' or 'supermatt' first, make sure every bit of the plaster is covered, then when properly dry you can use your bathroom/kitchen paint.

It is slightly thinner than the Matt paint, but I would still slightly thin it down, you will find easier when brushing, and the rolling, plus there is less chance of any problems

Just add approx 10-15% of water on your first coat of the kitchen paint, even if is slightly too thin, just roll the paint out if your worried about runs, but you shouldnt get any.

Then for your second of colour, just add 5-10%, you dont have too, but if you use it straight from the can, specially being kitchen and bathroom paint, it does tend to have a slimy feel about it, its difficult to explain, but to be on the safe side just add a bit of water and stir really well.

You do realise that this paint is quite shiny and will pick up any imperfection thats on the new plaster. :cry:

Spice

Thank you so much, I am going to follow your advice to the T and hopefully I will get a really decent finish.

Thanks for your thoughts about the paint too, it is V much appreciated

Your welcome :D , but make sure you do a miscoat on the Matt, thin it down by approx 20-25%.

I find that 'gliddens' contract matt is very good, its quite thick, so you really need to thin it down for your miscoat, you buy it from any Dulux decorating centre, Its made by 'ICI' as was, that makes Dulux.

Not sure if you can buy it in 5 lts tins anymore, but a 10 ltr tub is approx £15, and you can always use the rest as a base coat on any future walls in the future.
I daresay others on here have used different trade brand,and can suggest other makes, but I use Gliddens quite a lot, as the 'Dulux decorating centre' is the only trade shop near me.

If you look at the thread further down... 'Skimming kitchen walls', this might help you also. :D

Sponsored Links
Spice/others

Please exuse my ignorance, but does the 'mist' coat have to be the same colour as the top coats????? If I am painting the wall magnolia, does the mist coat have to be magnolia, or would white be OK?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back