Thinning Paint.........Advise Please

Any advice on thinning Johnstone's WB Aqua Satin, if possible - checked web site and pdf usage guide but no clues, overall superb paint although one or two issues with actual buying.

OT but vaguely relevant

Contacted Johnstone's head office for help in locating a local distributor, Johnstone's paint center (which is called something else) quoted 56 pounds per litre, Bunnings 19 pounds and onlline 19.99 delivered.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Contacted Johnstone's head office for help in locating a local distributor, Johnstone's paint center (which is called something else) quoted 56 pounds per litre, Bunnings 19 pounds and onlline 19.99 delivered.

Dawes Paints in Hammersmith is about 30 metres away from the local Dulux Decorator Centre. Some of the Dulux paints at Dawes are half the price charged at the DDC.

I guess there is an element of manufacturers not wanting to be seen to be undercutting resellers.

Dawes Paints in Hammersmith is about 30 metres away from the local Dulux Decorator Centre. Some of the Dulux paints at Dawes are half the price charged at the DDC.

I guess there is an element of manufacturers not wanting to be seen to be undercutting resellers.

Head office had to remind the manager to respond three times before he replied, think this was more along the lines of not wanting to supply retail. Completely going off topic, the on-line shop who were super helpful supplied i litre which was short of finishing the job, no problem re-ordered same paint but emailed to ensure exact match as halfway through decorative fence.

Paint arrived, started panting only see immediately it's the wrong colour, way too dark - got onto the seller taking two pics for comparison, new tin on the way, only question was which shade of grey did it match?

After a few days no paint I decided to take a gamble and finish off with the darker colour, hoping I could either complete the job or the new colour would match - seller in the meantime had stopped communicating so no help there.

Ran out of paint with one side to do, Saturday knock at the door - chap with tin of paint wrongly delivered...yaaaa.. err no..it turned out to be the lighter shade ..doh!!

Sponsored Links
Wish I'd seen this thread sooner. I used acrylic primer as undercoat for painting over previously painted wallpaper. I hadn't bothered to thin it down and there were brush marks where I had cut in. Although I've done two coats and it's now not so obvious, except on the wall that hard dark blue paint on it. I plan to give it another 1-2 coats and hopefully will be better once the paint is thinned down.

Given that paint cans are 5 litres and 10% means 500ml water, what do you use to hold the paint? I have a paint scuttle and a flat roller tray. Do I just thin as I need more paint or is it better to use some sort of other container?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back