third party payroll..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
starting tomorrow for an agency, but they are paying me through a third party umbrella company..
I've had to do this before a while ago but this company is charging me £15/week for the privilege..

I've been self employed before but never a Ltd company or anything ( at least I don't think so ) which is what the agency would want I think..
not sure if it would be worth the hassle going SE again and getting paid direct by the agency ( need a tax accountant again then though..)

any thoughts??

Sponsored Links
as far as i know, if your self employed you arn't entitled to any form of benefit unless you have been out of work for 6 months.

I investigated this very issue on two other forums about 6 months ago.

Consensus was its only worth going limited after about 6 months and then only if you think its gonna be long term and even then only at a certain threshold, the cost and hassle is just not worth it until you reach a certain hourly rate.

Of course you could go the limited route and do it all yourself but if your anything like me its too much grief. I used Crystal Umbrella they seemed pretty good and you get a direct line to a line manager who deals with your account to iron out those teething troubles!

Although would probably be a lot easier for you to just use the company you were using before if they still have you on record. £15 is about the industry standard.

Sponsored Links
Col jack if i were you i would tell the agency to spin on it.

Why are you WORKING for THEM?
When you get work through an agency, they earn commission on every hour you work for the employer, that's how they make their living. In theory the employee is no worse off financially although the employer can get rid of you without any hassle if you're rubbish or they run out of work. That's why it can be attractive to employers. In theory contract work pays better than permanent as it is recognised that there are fewer benefits, unpaid leave, no sick pay etc etc. Obviously the closer to unskilled you are the less this applies, if you have a good profession and go contract it can be quite lucrative compared to being permanent.

In order to work for an agency you must either be self employed as in limited or you work for an an Umbrella Company, this set up is widespread and the norm in contract work, its how it works. In actual fact it is the the Umbrella Company who are your employer although they are effectivey acountants handling your tax/NI contributions, provide you with payslips/P60's etc.

Col jack if i were you i would tell the agency to spin on it.

Why are you WORKING for THEM?
When you get work through an agency, they earn commission on every hour you work for the employer, that's how they make their living. In theory the employee is no worse off financially although the employer can get rid of you without any hassle if you're rubbish or they run out of work. That's why it can be attractive to employers. In theory contract work pays better than permanent as it is recognized that there are fewer benefits, unpaid leave, no sick pay etc etc. Obviously the closer to unskilled you are the less this applies, if you have a good profession and go contract it can be quite lucrative compared to being permanent.

In order to work for an agency you must either be self employed as in limited or you work for an an Umbrella Company, this set up is widespread and the norm in contract work, its how it works. In actual fact it is the the Umbrella Company who are your employer although they are effectivey acountants handling your tax/NI contributions, provide you with payslips/P60's etc.

So the pay does not differ and the agency earns there living through commission.
me wuz out uv work for 12 monts.

loo roll will be with you in 5 mins

col jack i would recommend you set up your own shop, work will come eventually but slow to start with.
there is no use whatsoever in anyway in giving these middlemen your time let alone money that you have worked hard for.

You could try another method, there was a guy on here, i think he is a sparky, and he reckons he is on more money working through an agency rather then direct. might be worth giving him a message.

So the pay does not differ and the agency earns there living through commission.
Yes, well done, you've grasped it.

me wuz out uv work for 12 monts.
Your point is? Maybe a few grammar tips would've helped there?

loo roll will be with you in 5 mins
:confused:

there is no use whatsoever in anyway in giving these middlemen your time let alone money that you have worked hard for.
If the only job offer Col has at present is through an agency how would you suggest Col approaches it?

Sponsored Links
Back