This enviroment saving the

That pretty much sums it up. The chief of the UN was in australia recently and said that the will to tackle climate change is fading.
Economies will suffer tackling climate change head on. Like a tyson hit.
The remoaners are happy to see economies suffer across the globe tackling climate change but moan that leaving the eu will cause ours to suffer.
We're an island nation. We're going to be paying through the nose to manage 1.5 degrees of heating. Entire villages and towns are going to be written off as too expensive to protect.

The cost to reduce our emissions to zero is going to be less than we're already on the hook for. It's also going to be far less than the costs for adapting to 2 degrees of warming.

So, either our economy is going to tank because the damage climate change is going to do will bankrupt us, or it won't. The cost to go renewable is smaller, I'm not worried about that.

To give you a sense of scale, the money spent world wide on renewables in 2019 was around $300 billion. The us spends about $750 billion on defence. We spend about $150 on the NHS or about $250 billion on pensions.

When you're talking about national budgets this is big, but not huge.

Sponsored Links
Economies based on oil and gas will Implode

Russia

Gulf states

Ect ect

Implosion will. Mean chaos

Parts of the farming industry will collapse

One of the biggest polluters on the planet are these massive cruisei liners

If they were a country they would Come 6th or 7th on the list ;)

Sponsored Links
You wouldn't need to desalinate it. It would evaporate. You'd have a bigger problem stopping the water from draining away as a lot of deserts are well above sea level.

So if we were to pump LOTS of salt water into the desert, could it be used to, for example, grow trees?

We're an island nation. We're going to be paying through the nose to manage 1.5 degrees of heating. Entire villages and towns are going to be written off as too expensive to protect.

The cost to reduce our emissions to zero is going to be less than we're already on the hook for. It's also going to be far less than the costs for adapting to 2 degrees of warming.

So, either our economy is going to tank because the damage climate change is going to do will bankrupt us, or it won't. The cost to go renewable is smaller, I'm not worried about that.

To give you a sense of scale, the money spent world wide on renewables in 2019 was around $300 billion. The us spends about $750 billion on defence. We spend about $150 on the NHS or about $250 billion on pensions.

When you're talking about national budgets this is big, but not huge.

interesting points made -the economic argument does make sense.

I think the problem though is that should the UK become carbon neutral unilaterally , that will be of no use -it requires the whole world to act and that requires political will.

And it doesnt solve the problem of the rate of population growth (which has grown from 2.5billion to 7 billion in the last 70 years), whihc is major driving factor in carbon

I think the problem though is that should the UK become carbon neutral unilaterally , that will be of no use -it requires the whole world to act and that requires political will.

The moral high ground will be a good place to be though, as the sea level rises.

And it doesnt solve the problem of the rate of population growth (which has grown from 2.5billion to 7 billion in the last 70 years), whihc is major driving factor in carbon

China's doing something about this.

Isnt that determined by electrical storage?

UK battery storage capacity could reach 70% growth in 2019 as business models evolve. As much as 500MW of additional large-scale battery storage capacity could be built in the UK in 2019, increasing its capacity by more than 70% to 1.2GW. ... There is also a large group of projects in the 10 - 20MW capacity range
500MW is nothing when it comes to storage.

Storage for electricity supply can only provide a limited capacity owing to economics. Even if the price comes down a particular technology (don't look at pumped hydro for this), it does not solve the fact that instances such as the big freeze of 2010 when and sun was minimal would not be covered by a storage system, as it would quickly run out compared to how long we would need it.

Remember, a solar CSP with molten salt storage has about 18hrs storage before it becomes uneconomic. Now lets be generous and say we find some other technology that is cheaper to store energy produced by renewables. We would:
a. need more wind turbines/solar panels (more cost)
b. more storage (more cost.)

Now lets assume you can eek out 36hrs of storage due to those improved economics.

You still won't have enough storage to cover the deep freeze, so you either resort to fossil fuels (gas), nuclear, or you import from Europe.

Gas will get more expensive and of course higher carbon footprint, and so nuclear is the only alternative.

It s also the safest of all energy sources.

Its nice to see population on the agenda for a change.
I have yet to come across a discussion like this where someone doesn't mention population. And then says that no one mentions it.

Even though population is not an issue these days. Economic growth is.

What we need to clean growth, and when then find some level where we limit the economy to a steady state.

The population will level out.

Does it? I believe we need reliable and predictable electricity. I dont think that means that we can't have a 100% renewable grid. Nor do we have to have a base of power that can't be shut down or turned up. It's classic marketing spin to turn a limitation into a positive.

Nor do I think that Nuclear has to be part of the mix as it doesn't support renewables, just provides a floor of electricity that you can't reduce or increase.

When you start talking about the premium that nuclear demands it starts making other solutions practical. Heck carbon capture and sequestration might even be competitive. That way you can have dispachable power without the huge fixed costs.

Either way, nuclear as part of the solution or not, it doesn't make sense today unless something big changes.
You clearly do not understand the grid.
Nor have you provided any evidence to back up anything you have said.

Sponsored Links
Back