This is one way I suppose

Sponsored Links
I worked in the Middle East in the 1970s and one builing I worked on had been rewired quickly, the spark had taken a hammer to windows and carefully smashed a hole in the glass just big enough for a cable to go through. Some of the cables were T&E others were 4core 16mm. I rewired lots but preferred to drill through a stone wall rather than use the window route. Drilling through 1200mm stone walls was not easy. Standing on a step ladder holing a kango drill with extension bits was probably not up to modern H&S standards. I seemed to always be covered in bruises because the bit often jammed and the kango turned and hit me.

It is all so different away from our good safe UK rules and regulations. (Is different better or worse? Now that is another question)

Sponsored Links
I seemed to always be covered in bruises because the bit often jammed and the kango turned and hit me.
Could have been worse.

https://www.osha.gov/pls/imis/accidentsearch.accident_detail?id=14246466

And....

During the Eighties I did some construction work. One day, another worker leaned a ladder against the outside of the building that we were putting up, climbed up to the second-story level, and used the Hole Hawg to drill a hole through the exterior wall. At some point, the drill bit caught in the wall. The Hole Hawg, following its one and only imperative, kept going. It spun the worker's body around like a rag doll, causing him to knock his own ladder down. Fortunately he kept his grip on the Hole Hawg, which remained lodged in the wall, and he simply dangled from it and shouted for help until someone came along and reinstated the ladder.

I myself used a Hole Hawg to drill many holes through studs, which it did as a blender chops cabbage. I also used it to cut a few six-inch-diameter holes through an old lath-and-plaster ceiling. I chucked in a new hole saw, went up to the second story, reached down between the newly installed floor joists, and began to cut through the first-floor ceiling below. Where my homeowner's drill had labored and whined to spin the huge bit around, and had stalled at the slightest obstruction, the Hole Hawg rotated with the stupid consistency of a spinning planet. When the hole saw seized up, the Hole Hawg spun itself and me around, and crushed one of my hands between the steel pipe handle and a joist, producing a few lacerations, each surrounded by a wide corona of deeply bruised flesh. It also bent the hole saw itself, though not so badly that I couldn't use it. After a few such run-ins, when I got ready to use the Hole Hawg my heart actually began to pound with atavistic terror.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back