This look OK for a new bathroom extractor fan setup?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bathroom is approx 10m3 and currently doesn't have a fan. Only option is ceiling mounted and I'm going to vent through a tile vent:

>Airflow QuietAir Fan 100mm 2 Speed + Timer
>100mm in line condensation trap
>1.5-2m of flexi tube will run near vertical to tile vent

Not going to bother insulating tube as fitting condensation trap.

Job's a good un?

Sponsored Links
Do you have a shower?

I'd be tempted to beef the fan up, double the output 120mm will hit you for another £40 and better to over vent than struggle.

I'd also suggest rigid duct over flexi, and if you can wrap it with insulation.

As for the trap, it won't do anything if the duct run is vertical.

Do you have a shower?

I'd be tempted to beef the fan up, double the output 120mm will hit you for another £40 and better to over vent than struggle.

I'd also suggest rigid duct over flexi, and if you can wrap it with insulation.

As for the trap, it won't do anything if the duct run is vertical.

Yes there's a shower over the bath which is the main source of moisture. Thought about 6" but the tile vent is 100mm so thought it might be difficult to hook it up.

I see what you mean about more power but do I really need 500m3/hr given the bathroom is tiny?

Sponsored Links
The thing is, published fan performance figures are even less realistic of real life performance than car maker's fuel consumption - it's as if the 56mph figure was obtained from a car driven by an anorexic midget on a perfectly flat smooth surface, tyres at 100psi, the wing mirrors and wiper blades and number plates and radio aerials removed, all the vents taped up, zero wind, a blueprinted engine, the perfect temperature and relative humidity, no aircon, fans, radio or lights running, spare wheel removed, empty screenwash reservoir and enough fuel in the tank to do a measured mile from a rolling start.

IRL, pressure differences and ducting losses will eat away at the headline figure of any fan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back