Thistle bond it/vapour barrier paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've just put up Gyproc Moisture resistant on my kitchen/bathroom ceilings. Plan is to use Thistle bond it (as recommended by British Gypsum who make the boards) and then plaster skim and prime/paint. My question is does anyone know the perm rating of Thistle bond it (is it a good vapour barrier?). Alternatively could anyone recommend a primer or paint to use after I get the plasterer in that will act as a good vapour barrier?

Thanks

Tom

Sponsored Links
I think you should have used foil backed boards and skimmed them, skimming a moisture resistant board defeats the object of installing it.

The best you can do now is invest in a good quality bathroom pain I should imagine.

I agree with 1john that you’d have done better using Duplex board & a skim for the ceilings but now you’ve got MR up there you can still skim as long as you prime first as stated; going to be better than just sealing & painting. Allow 10 days for plaster skim to dry out thoroughly, prime with ordinary cheap matt white emulsion, thinned 25-30%, apply 2/3 coats in quick succession & top coat the next day when dry. As long as the room has good ventilation (extractor fan), I think your worrying unnecessarily with regard to a ceiling vapour barrier, use bathroom paint if you wish but I only ever use standard emulsion in bath/shower room renovations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back