thistle bond-it vs blue grit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a load of MR plasterboard on my ceilings to prep before I get the plasterer to skim it. Thistle bond it only comes in 10L tubs at around £50....I only need about 2 or 3L max. Febond Blue Grit I can find for about £20 inc delivery. Has anyone used Blue Grit? Is it up to the job? The Thistle stuff seems quite overpriced to me...

thanks

Sponsored Links
id use WBA wickes bonding agant think its £15 tops
i use it some times over mpb not bad but your trying to skim mpb soo you mite as well just stand there with a bucket of water splashing the boards m8 as its mpb why skim it

Sponsored Links
Yes 5L for £20....which is better than paying £50 when I only need about 3L as long as it's up to spec.

Only reason I went with MR is because of point 4 here, which is maybe a bit misleading?:-

http://www.british-gypsum.com/products/plasterboard___accessories/10_things_you_should_know.aspx

But no real harm done, just means I need to prime before the skim. ٵ
well i can see that it is somewhat misleading as they don't go on to say about skimming, mr boards are fine in bathrooms, but as soon as you skim it you have defeated the object of having mr boards, they could at least add this information to their website, still just use blue grit skim and forget about it, just for the record i done a bathroom the other week and in that bathroom behind the shower was i think a standard pb that has been up over 20 years and it was as dry as a bone, what did fail in the bathroom however was a gypsum undercoat plaster, where it hadn't been sealed it was all crumbly, so all that had to come off and replaced with s&c,

Thanks, think I'll go with the blue grit and make sure I do a couple of mist coats on the new plaster once it's up to make sure it's sealed. Had the plasterer round and he's quoted me £180 for doing my bathroom, kitchen, main hall and one small cupboard. Seems pretty reasonable to me and I've seen his work at my Aunt's - looked really professional.

Thanks, think I'll go with the blue grit and make sure I do a couple of mist coats on the new plaster once it's up to make sure it's sealed. Had the plasterer round and he's quoted me £180 for doing my bathroom, kitchen, main hall and one small cupboard. Seems pretty reasonable to me and I've seen his work at my Aunt's - looked really professional.
£180 for all that lot? your having a girrafe hows he going to make a living on that? how big is the hallway and kitchen?

£180 for all that lot? your having a girrafe hows he going to make a living on that? how big is the hallway and kitchen?

I'm with Steve,, £180.00 ffs,,,:eek: you sure there's not a ONE and a comma missing = £1,180.00. :LOL:

you cant be tellin us hes doin walls and ceilins in all those rooms for that price? how many days has he said hell be there

Nope, it's just the ceilings! Sorry should have made that clear. Plasterboard will already be up (once I finish the next bit), and I'll prime the MR board - all he has to do is skim 3 ceilings in med sized rooms, 1 days work he reckons.

just for the record i done a bathroom the other week and in that bathroom behind the shower was i think a standard pb that has been up over 20 years and it was as dry as a bone
20 years :eek: ; perhaps they never used it :LOL: . Honestly if you saw the state of some of the standard or even MR PB I rip out (some less than 5 years old), you would never consider using it in a wet area again.
what did fail in the bathroom however was a gypsum undercoat plaster, where it hadn't been sealed it was all crumbly, so all that had to come off and replaced with s&c,
You can’t tile over gypsum base plasters, too soft; even BG say that. ;)

You can’t tile over gypsum base plasters, too soft; even BG say that. ;)[/quote]well hes no need to worry now rich as he has nice new s&c walls to tile on lol, also i may let you know that on the other wall (there were 2 boarded walls both l&p) there was just hardboard up and that was bone dry as well, not that i would ever recomend using that mind.
View media item 28440

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back