Uni-Finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I always get the monthly "Professional Builder" magazine whenever i visit our local Travis Perkins, and in the February edition on the "letters page", there was a complaint from a plasterer, Tom Deakin, over British Gypsum's Thistle Uni-Finish. He had a problem with it failing to adhere as it should have. British Gypsum spotted the plasterer's letter, and responded to him, in the new April edition, plus apologised to him for the problems caused. They (BG), also asked for feedback from other users on the BG website regarding any issues with the product, and offering people the chance to return any unused stock.

In this month's edition, (April), British Gypsum say that they have now acted upon this problem with the Uni-Finish and have now withdrawn/recalled this plaster from the market. BG are now working to resolve the problems with this particular product, and are now in the early stages of "rigorous field testing, to ensure the issues are completely fixed". I've never used Thistle Uni-Finish at all, but in my opinion, British Gypsum plasters overall, are head and shoulders above other brands of gypsum plasters, and i wish them well. ;)

Sponsored Links
RC- You may remember me posting about this a long time ago.
I spoke to BG tech people about the problems I saw.

Main one was how it would equalise suctions on a wall (it can't).

The trouble is they altered the regular multifinish formula which started to tear more, epsecially in warm conditions. They did this so that the difference between Uni Finish and Multi would be less extreme, so that plasterers would be more inclined to use Uni-

Thanks for the very informative update.

I do remember your post on Uni-Finish Micilin. I also agree with you that multi finish is not the same "receipe" as it was, say 2 or 3 years ago. As you said, it drags/tears, it tightens up very early on and doesn't have the same workability, it just feels "different". I remember our pal StevetheSpreader from Pompey saying the same. I get on ok with it, no problem, but anyone just learning the trade would find it not the easiest thing to use. BG also changed Bonding Coat 3 or 4 years back and made it with "finer" vermiculite particles. "More like Browning" as someone described it.
Again, we're used to it now as well, but why do they always try to fix something that isn't broken. I know that Uni-Finish is a new product, designed to eliminate the need for pva, but as you said, it can't control suction. I wont criticise this product because i've never used it, but for me, as long as the substrate is sound, i'd rather use a sealer/bonding agent etc, knowing they will give me vital suction control, plus adhesion, for whatever plaster i choose to put onto a wall/ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back