Thorn EMI housewarmer spectacular boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I'm new on this forum so apologies if my query has already been answered, my problem is my boiler will not start up then after about 3 days it will spring into life and work for about a month then stop working again for a few days.

Sponsored Links
Think you might need to give a little bit more information than that, some great engineers on here but we dont have crystal balls

Sorry yes more info would have been better, first of all the boiler gc No is 44 789 22. The boiler was working fine til 31st October then stopped and would not start up again when heating/hot water was called for, there was no attempt at ignition. when heating was called you could hear pump start up but boiler would not try to ignite. On November 3rd boiler started when heating/hot water were called and ignited as normal, it will be fine for the next month or so then will not work for a few days. The same problem occured at the end of August for a few days then boiler started to work again as normal. I hope that gives you a bit more to work on, Many thanks.

I take it that a long, long time has passed since this boiler had any attention from a gsr!?

Sponsored Links
The last time it was serviced was october last year.

OK. So it's due for another. Do you use a local independent engineer or a servicing company?
Book a service in and inform them that there is also an intermittent fault with the ignition sequence that needs attention.
There are several possible causes but all of them need proper fault finding and repair, which involves gsr certification.

Thats fine i will get a service booked by a local engineer,but what could be possible faults so i have an idea of which parts i may need as they could take some time to locate/find and if they are still availble.

Local engineer will be able to source what's needed at point of diagnosis.
Same as mechanics at a garage... Find the fault, order the necessary part.

Same as mechanics at a garage... Find the fault, order the necessary part.

No, no, no! We prefer the customer to diagnose the fault and bring the part along. Once the parts are fitted and it still doesn’t work, we can then correctly diagnose the fault and do the job. Double bubble. ;):whistle:(y)

if it is a faulty gas valve they are still available, if it is the ign control they are obsolete, but someone may be able to source one, the pump running is nothing to do with the boiler, I would be saving for a new boiler if it was me

if it is a faulty gas valve they are still available, if it is the ign control they are obsolete, but someone may be able to source one, the pump running is nothing to do with the boiler, I would be saving for a new boiler if it was me
thank you i will check online for the ign control module

thank you i will check online for the ign control module
I didnt say it was that, I said it could be, yours is a very simple old boiler but still needs to be diagnosed properly and to do that the boiler will have to fault while the engineer is there

I didnt say it was that, I said it could be, yours is a very simple old boiler but still needs to be diagnosed properly and to do that the boiler will have to fault while the engineer is there
I understand that but i can still check online to see if the ign unit is still available, i will be getting an engineer in when it fails again but until the i can check out the availabilty of parts for the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back