Thorn oild boiler lights but wont stay on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Have a problem with a Thorn oil boiler.

Basically the boiler lights okay but will only stay on for a minute sometimes and then maybe 5 mins the next time.

Is this a problem with the control box/flame detector or would it be a problem with the Thermostat. How do i go about finding out without throwing parts at it.

I ahd a riello burner that would light and stay on for about 15 secs. Changed the control box and away it went.

Any words of wisdom would be much apprecaited.

Sean

Sponsored Links
Sorry guys,

Just re read that and the spelling is attrocious!!!!!! What i meant to say was is it a problem with the control box/flame detector or would it be a thermSTAT problem!!!!

I had a riello doing a similar thing, chnaged the control box and away she went.

Again any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

S

Please note forum rules, item g

If you edit your first post, I will remove the 2nd

Words of wisdom! I can't see it being the thermostat, but can't you link across the input and output terminals to eliminate it.
Flame detector? could be! is it clean? facing the flame? can't you test it for resistance, maybe loose wires. Could that be eliminated by a link for a short period while you test the control box?
If boiler still fails its got to be control box.
Lets see what 'oilman' thinks
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I think you should go on a few burner manufacturers courses, and a few boiler manufacturers courses.

It could be a blocked oil filter, a duff solenoid coil, a failing capacitor, or other component. If you are out fixing boilers you need to have bits with you, or you need to have enough knowledge to describe the problem accurately, or to diagnose it, or to use the spelling checker (its the big button at the bottom right of the edit box, marked "Spell Check". Sorting out a technical problem is one thing, wading through an unfamiliar dialect is quite different.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back