thorn m gas boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

my thorn m boiler started playing up a few weeks ago but today it may of packed up completely.

to light boiler i press button, light pilot , keep button pressed for 20 secs then release slowly, turn electric on and turn switch to number 7 (highest control setting)....so after ive done all this the burner should light with a roaring sound......but its not :(

(the pilot stays lit)

any1 know the problem for this?

cheers
Nifty

Sponsored Links
Makesure pilot button is coming all the way back out,because if it sticks halfway this will stop boiler firing ,other than that gas valve solenoid has gone..

Could be boiler stat or gas valve, assuming that there is 240V coming to the boiler from the external timer/roomstat.

Check for 240V at gas valve.

Gas4you

there is 240v coming through as when i click the electric switch i can here the pump kick in.

Namsag

the pilot button does come all the way back up.
what is the boiler stat?
you say it may be the gas valve..

ive just managed to fire it up...i turned the pilot off again and relit..noticed the button was HALF way back up but i still turned electric on and turned the control to full and it worked.....but is this ok to do while the pilot button is still releasing??

cheers

Nifty

Sponsored Links
Sounds as though it could have been a variation of namsag reply, in that the grey knob was not turned fully to the burner position.

this has been happening too much for me

what sort of price would it be for me to have a new boiler installed, i would rather keep the rads to try and keep price down if possible.....3 bed house

Cheers
Nifty

or would it be worth me getting a gas valve solenoid?

Got to watch these aswell as they have a tendency to block the ignition flame on the pilot but leave the t'c flame ok so they tend to go up with a pretty scary whooosh

Thorn Ms are bulletproof and a lot cheaper to fix than the new stuff that has to be fitted with more and more gizmos demanded by the safety and eco freaks.
Keep fixing it and flog it to death. Even with the new price increases savings in fuel will be more than swallowed up by extra maintenance costs if you renew it. Then you will have to recover the new boiler and installation costs.

update:

i went and brought a thermo coupler and fitted it myself ( was only a 10mm bolt and 8mm at other end)

i noticed a slight difference in the noise of the pilot flame...(more of a roar)

i lit the pilot, blew it out to check the pilot button was working fine, and yes it cuts off ok

so now i think my boiler is working properly again, well fingers crossed

thanks for all the help here

Nifty

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back