Thoughts on an extension...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering of the feasibility of an extension idea... it all may be pie in the sky, and may remain a dream, but have to start somewhere! We've not been in the house long, but thinking long term, as doubt we could ever afford to buy a larger house.

Ive provided some rough sketches and some pics, and just wanted some general feedback.

My concerns are:

Cost
Ive read that a typical ballpark figure is around £1200 sqm, and that a two storey is perhaps 1.5x the cost of a single. But is the sqm based on the footprint of the build, so a 40sqm ground floor at a cost of £48k would be £72k as a two storey?

Neighbours
Having a large apartment building next too us, I wonder whether we would be able to extend two storeys sideways. Losing light, unsightly etc... Id also wonder if we could put any windows that would face them, or would they have to be obscured.. even though they overlook our house and garden.

Planning.. it is what it is I suppose!

The conservatory would be obviously get knocked down, not sure what the foundations are but no doubt unsuitable for a two storey extension. Also looks like I have a bit of a guttering issue judging by the dark patches on the walls.

We wouldnt be wanting to come out any further than the conservatory extends, and want to wrap around the side encompassing the door which leads into the kitchen.

IMG_20160218_082544.jpg IMG_20160218_082413.jpg IMG_20160218_082354.jpg IMG_20160218_082336.jpg ext.jpg

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The per sqm is an estimate based on usable floor area, not building ground footprint. I'm building a 3 storey 250sqm house doing most the work myself and it's looking like its end up costing 250-300k including 100k on the land

If you want to do a better ballpark, try using spons.. Past versions are available free. It's a big book of costs for everything in the building industry. I've got a copy of the 2014 version if your googling doesn't turn anything up

You might be able to do a lot of your desires using permitted development. Wraparounds are generally a pain in the arse and limit the size of the extension but if a back and a side extension do not touch they aren't classed as a wraparound, so you can have a side extension that projects backwards the same extent as a back extension does, and the back extension can be full width, whereas the side extension is half width. Ask on the building regs and planning section of this forum for more advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back