Looking for some advice on Extension Prices please !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There

i live in Cheshire (well old Lancashire really). I want to extend my house rather than move home.

I need some advice on what building an extension would cost me, both for a single storey and two storey.

It will be attached to the side of my house and be approx 10 feet wide by 24 feet long.

the plan is to have 4/5 rooms (if two storey) two up, three down or 2/3 rooms if single storey (one of the downstairs rooms being small as utility room)

Could anyone give me some advice on cost roughly - I dont want to get estimates properly until I have secured funds and I cant do that unless I know roughly how much I will need.

Thanks
Fanjield

Sponsored Links
Work on £1500/m² - makes it about £33k. Depends on site conditions, access, design, finish, etc.

Thanks John

Would that be a 2 storey price or single storey price.

I am a bit of a thicko when it comes to msq etc :)

Your reply is much appreciated :D

Cheers
fanjield

traditional brick built 2 story rear extension10,00£ comprising of ground floor dining room and kitchen extension first floor bedroom extension new bathroom 19m2205sq. feet= 49£persq.foot
The working drawing and spreadsheet can be adapted for traditional build designed around specific dimensions. I have prepared free examples of drawings and spread sheets available for clarification purposes. That can be sent via email on request to those interested. As this is a new concept I am prepared to offer my services free to discover if it’s a feasible proposal

Sponsored Links
traditional brick built 2 story rear extension10,00£ comprising of ground floor dining room and kitchen extension first floor bedroom extension new bathroom 19m2205sq. feet= 49£persq.foot
The working drawing and spreadsheet can be adapted for traditional build designed around specific dimensions. I have prepared free examples of drawings and spread sheets available for clarification purposes. That can be sent via email on request to those interested. As this is a new concept I am prepared to offer my services free to discover if it’s a feasible proposal
If I were you I would first learn the art of grammar then learn how to quote for building work, because both are absolute gash!

When posting this i was fully expecting at least one response like noseall should not that be know s all-know nothing . and i wasn`t disappointed. Here on planet earth where skilled trades men are charging 150£ per hour(and out of work established family businesses going bust). Migrant workers charging the same for a weeks work and in employment. And as for learning to give a building quote. i can demonstrate building costs on a spreadsheet to the brick that is irrefutable the only variables are labour costs and personal taste & design. This is21st century building where quotes have to be presented in an acceptable and justifiable format to the client and not on the back of a fag packet. This is the real world live with it . i do hope my grammar is to”knowsalls” aprovement if not i am pretty sure he will let me know but i don’t believe its possible to get into reasoned debate with Neanderthal man

Michael, for what it's worth your post didn't make a lot of sense to me either. We can only comment based on the information available - which wasn't much.

PS. My estimate is based on two storey.

For all those who find it difficult making sense of my post . i have a priced bills of quantities spreadsheet for materials for a double extension (traditional brick built) that is irrefutable regarding quantities and the only variables are suppliers rates for materials and labour costs and of course site conditions This is not estimating it is based on facts . If i can find a way to post a copy on this site i will in the mean time anybody wants a copy i will be more than happy to send it in PDF format via email to proove it

recently completed and submitted drawings for planning and regs approval for a detached house on 3 floors720sq feet. The client also wanted bills of quantities. He was getting quotes from 45 to 65K. He completed the whole build for less than 27K .By managing himself and he got the vat back. the current market price is now approx.70K.this works out at just short of38£ per sq. foot This is fact he was fortunate as the land was his garden.

Working out the exact number of bricks and multiplying by unit cost isn't real World though Michael. A bloke managing his own build isn't the same as a builder running a business - the two cant be compared.

im sorry but if the builder cant compete and hes losing work and more people go down the same road self building. the outcome is obvious more builders will go bust. this . my son recently wanted a trade i suggested electrical which he paid for himself, got all his certs of course this is what he wnts to do. a mate of his has an electrical installation company , an established family company 3 generations and struggling for work laid men off offered him some work not long ago.would you take the chance of giving up a regular paying job when you have bills and a family to care for . this is the real world

john i was just stating fact if somebody wants bills quantities to self build.and take a chance to manage his own build employing pros as and when needed. then its obvious that established builders will not be able to compete. all i have done is create a bills of quantities & project management spreadsheet that is user friendly, ideal for the self builder

all i have done is create a bills of quantities & project management spreadsheet that is user friendly, ideal for the self builder
All you have done is mislead the naive or entertain the experienced and at best have suggested that if you self build and self manage a project, you may save money.

Woopee, forgive me if i don't reach for the champagne just yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back