Extension/Planning question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am thinking about an extension on the rear of my property. What generally is the correct procedure for doing this? I am thinking about either a single storey or 2 storey depending on cost.

The only way I can see to decided is to mock up some drawings for both and get quotes/estimates from builders. Then subject to these apply for the relevant planning permission.

Is this the way people normally go about this? I dont want to apply for a two storey extension and then find that the costs are prohiitive. Nor do I want to annoy builders by asking them to estimate on an extension that does not have planning.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Neil

Sponsored Links
Yeh, mock up some drawings and get quotes.
It's potential work for someone, they will estimate on non-approved plans.
I would always go for 2 rather than single storey, providing planning pass it.
It will be worth considering having your drawings done professionally, when it comes to the application though.

Excellent thanks.

I cannot see why planning will not pass it as other houses in area have similar sorts and size of extensions, the only prohibitive factor is cost at the moment.

I will sharpen my pencil and start drawing :)

I would check out planning in a bit more detail if I were you. It may be that you can achieve what you want under permitted development.

Telephone a local building surveyor and have a chat. I do this all the time and very often make a brief visit to give initial advice FOC.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back