Help with extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I am hoping to extend our property.
We currently have a single storey side extension comprising of a utility room and a bedroom/family room.
We want to make our bathroom bigger and build another bedroom on top the the single storey extension, but would like advice on how to place everything as we would need a passage to the proposed extension.
We realise we will need planning permission, but would like to get help in planning and drawing the extension so as to make the best use of the space available.
What is a cost effective way of getting some help?
I assume a builder wouldn't provide this service and an architect would be quite expensive.
Any pointers would be appreciated and how much would i be looking at?
Also whilst I'm here. How wide does a passage have to be off the landing leading to a bedroom?
Thanks all

Sponsored Links
An architectural technician would do what you require and be much cheaper than an architect. Give a local one a call.

Why not also call a local builder and get a heads up from them? After a brief telephone chat you could all meet on site. Dont use any massively advertised or national company or you will be well sorry.

Dont go near planning or BCO, professionals will contact them, if necessary, in due time.

Thanks for your reply. Do they go by any other name?
I just did a quick google and thrre was only 1 within 15 miles of me.
would a draughtsman be the same?
Thanks again.

Maybe thats what some of them call themselves nowadays - i dont know, why not give them a ring?

Sponsored Links

Attached is our house plan. The hope is to get a 4th bedroom and make the existing bathroom a bit bigger by building a second floor on top of our existing single storey side extension.
The extension would be on top of what is the utility room and bedroom 4, which as you can see is stepped in from bedroom 4 to the utility room.
My plan was to move the bathroom completely to take up most of bedroom 2 against the wall with bedroom 1.
then taking the wall out that exists between the current bathroom and bedroom 2 and splitting that space straight down the middle 2 create a bedroom with the leftover of bedroom 2 and over the utility room. And another bedroom over bedroom 4 and what was the bathroom making bedrooms 3 approx 3.3x2.5 and bedroom 4 approx 4.8x2.5.
Now obviously this is going to be very costly, but we can't see any other way of keeping the bedrooms a decent size as well as extending the bathroom with the current layout as space would be needed for s passage to bedroom 4.
Any thoughts or advice is very much appreciated.
Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back