Extension costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've seen general estimates for extensions quoted per sq m. Is there a different per sq m price for single and double storey? Assuming the size in sq m is doubled for a two storey.

I would expect it to be less for double, as the roof and foundation costs will be the same, apart from extra depth footings.

If they are different, can anyone tell me what they are, for just the shell (walls, roof, windows), and fully finished?

The location is in Preston, Lancashire.

Ta.

Sponsored Links
I worked on £1200 m2 for a single storey, plus £800 m2 for the second storey.

You're right in that a single storey still needs the foundations & roof so is more expensive - the second story is just a biut of brick work thrown in the midle!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

I'm a bit confused by the link, as it shows the double storey per sq m to be more than the single storey price. Then it goes on to contradict itself by saying single storey is more expensive!?

Think I'll believe the text, as it agrees with your comments, and makes more sense!

How long is a peice of string?......

"just the shell" : timber frame, brick, stone, or block & render?

I've just built a 4mx8m 2 story shell (inc all new drains, roof, windows, doors, render) for 18K.
If i'd stopped at the single story I roughly estimate I'd have spent 14K.

I did most of the work myself though....doing the inside now.

If your getting trades in for everything then £1200 per m2 for a 2 story is about right for a standard build.
Thats alot of wages!
My advice is get loads of quotes, alot of lads are struggling for work at the min, you should get it done cheaper than this time last year.

It will be a brick extension. I was going to get a builder to do the shell, (walls, floor, roof, windows, maybe drains) and do the inside myself.

As you say, I'll get quotes, and if they are low enough i might get some more help on the inside.

Thanks for the figures.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back