Thoughts/opinions on a car i bought..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fiesta zetec, 59 plat (jan 10 registered) 87k milage, from a dealer, new cam belt pump & coolant, oil, brake discs & pads., new airbag switch and fixed immobiliser. Hes also gave it an mot.

The downside of the car is;

1. it has 1 key for the ignition barrel as it has a new barrel, and one for the door, with a third (original key to operate remote locking. I can get a replacement key for £100

2. It has a slight wheel bearing type noise. He said he checked it and he said it was coming from the winter tyre.

He wouldn't knock anything off the price of the car for the above.

The tyres are 9 years old anyway, so was planning to change them.

Not trusting people, i was planning to take it to a local garage just to make sure he wasnt lying about the bearings
Its not a constant whine, it oscillates to the speed of the car, especially when decelerating. Im not bothered about the noise as long as its not the bearing. Especially giving an mot from his own testing station

Any thoughts on steps to take before spending money on the above?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You obviously have some concerns. Walk away and look elsewhere.

Edit. If you’ve already bought it, take it for a second opinion and if confirmed, take it back.

It could be slightly warped tyres, had that on a Mondeo before.

Sounds like you've bought a dog, take it back and look for something else, it's not like fiestas aren't common

Sponsored Links
Take it for an MOT, they will find any faults for a minimum of cost. (if you have bought it already of course)

Andy

This car is hardly in its first flush of youth, but I have to say they are bloody good and much better choice than say a Corsa of the same ilk. Of course, the purchase price reflects this. It's nearly 12 years old, at the end of the day but Ford got this one right.
I'll try to justify without starting WW3 :whistle:
It's mileage is good, and at that mileage any wheel bearing on a FWD car is likely to be groaning;
It's likely to have had a few owners, hence the key issue;
A new timing belt etc is very helpful and will save you £300+;
Tyre replacement will be sensible now.
If you don't buy it, the dealer will shift it, no problem.
So.....it depends on how much you paid, and if there is any service history that would be good....previous MOT's can be looked up.
I'd be looking for rust
Checking for any drop in fluid levels
How well the car starts up from cold
Checking to see the thing idles nicely when warm
Checking for paintwork / accident repair / panel damage (especially in the boot - look under the floor carpet)
Check for a slick gear change and light clutch.
Etc etc!
I'll keep my head down for a bit :mrgreen:
John :)

IME Ford's are notorious for getting through wheel bearings. I'd describe the typical sound of a worn wheel bearing is a sort of low pitch wum wum sound the frequency of which changes with the vehicles speed, though again IME experience is more noticeable when accelerating.

Do you have to walk around with 3 car keys all the time?.

Sponsored Links
Back