Thousands of Key Stage tests cancelled after teachers boycot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What the hell is this country coming to when teachers can refuse to carry out tests and keep their job?? Maybe next they will claim that teaching people to write is too stressful and it would be best if we didn't do that either.

...and we wonder why our education system is so crap.

"Hi Mum, i got 10 GCSEs and 4 A levels at A!"
"Great, send a note to your grandmother!"
"OK! 'Deer granmother, i got lotsa cualificaytions!!'"

Sponsored Links
What the hell is this country coming to when teachers can refuse to carry out tests and keep their job?? Maybe next they will claim that teaching people to write is too stressful and it would be best if we didn't do that either.

...and we wonder why our education system is so crap.

"Hi Mum, i got 10 GCSEs and 4 A levels at A!"
"Great, send a note to your grandmother!"
"OK! 'Deer granmother, i got lotsa cualificaytions!!'"

The tests are deemed unnecessary. They mean that the syllabus for quite a while in the run up to the tests is geared up to doing well in the tests. Some schools even just practise test questions. And then there's a wind down after the tests until the end of term. In our case, our kids are then assessed as soon as they get into their new school anyway.

The tests are more a meaningless measure of the school, than of any benefit to the kids.

.... in my opinion.

I got all my GCSE's about 10 or 11, A-Cs and 1 was an A*.

However the high school I went to has since really gone down the drain, you have to be quiet smart to make it out alive, so much so, that the school ends at 2.30, the kid's go back after lunch at 1.45 and the reason is that they are short staffed, can they not hire staff.

I agree with you skitzee, the teacher's are really soft, I remember one of my many form tutor's started crying because she could not handle the behaviour, ffs are the teacher's not there to teach kid's behaviour included.
IMO, I think we need teacher's with a bit more stern the old fashioned one's they seemed to be able to handle anything and keep the class quiet, in all fairness, they should bring back the caine, but then again.

Teacher's should not be able to do this, as it defies thier position, they should not be able to teach kid's for week's and week's and then refuse to carry out test's. This is ludicrous and Teacher's should know better.

BTW skitzee, I am thinking or in the process of setting up a carpet cleaning business, what are your thought's on this?

Where are you going to find 1900 brand new headteachers to replace the ones you sacked?

Sponsored Links
the teachers are doing this purely for the benefit of very young kids. Not for their own benefit, nor because they can't be bothered to do them.

And at the minute what they're doing is not illegal, so they can do it.

The tests are deemed unnecessary. They mean that the syllabus for quite a while in the run up to the tests is geared up to doing well in the tests. Some schools even just practise test questions. And then there's a wind down after the tests until the end of term. In our case, our kids are then assessed as soon as they get into their new school anyway.

The tests are more a meaningless measure of the school, than of any benefit to the kids.

.... in my opinion.

How can you only teach them what is going to be in the tests if you don't know what is going to be in the tests?? Unless that means teaching them to spell everything they might be asked to? Which surely is the point?

They are standardised anyway aren't they?

the teachers are doing this purely for the benefit of very young kids. Not for their own benefit, nor because they can't be bothered to do them.

And at the minute what they're doing is not illegal, so they can do it.
That is laughable, they are doing it because it measures THEM just as much as it measure the children. If for example the tests WERE too hard, then EVERYONE would do crap meaning you would need a lower percentage to get a high mark....what the teachers who refuse to do it know is that if there kids do ****E and others don't, it will show THEM up not the kids.

This is why they are doing it. Trust me, the sats are **** easy.

SATs are a waste of time. The amount of teaching time it takes up means the education of children is distorted and warped into being simply teaching kids to pass SATs, whereas the time would be far better spent in teaching them stuff they might actually find useful, like maths and english. This obsession with measuring kids at school has resulted in 15 years of petty interference in teaching by the government and a generation of kids who cant add, cant spell, and know nothing about the world, despite mountains of cash being thrown at them.

SATs are a waste of time. The amount of teaching time it takes up means the education of children is distorted and warped into being simply teaching kids to pass SATs, whereas the time would be far better spent in teaching them stuff they might actually find useful, like maths and english. This obsession with measuring kids at school has resulted in 15 years of petty interference in teaching by the government and a generation of kids who cant add, cant spell, and know nothing about the world.

...the tests are on maths, english and reasoning skills...how is teaching them to pass this a waste of time?

And if they can't spell or add I don't think we can blame that on the tests that are testing if they can spell or add. That doesn't make sense.

SATs are a waste of time. The amount of teaching time it takes up means the education of children is distorted and warped into being simply teaching kids to pass SATs, whereas the time would be far better spent in teaching them stuff they might actually find useful, like maths and english. This obsession with measuring kids at school has resulted in 15 years of petty interference in teaching by the government and a generation of kids who cant add, cant spell, and know nothing about the world.

...the tests are on maths, english and reasoning skills...how is teaching them to pass this a waste of time?

And if they can't spell or add I don't think we can blame that on the tests that are testing if they can spell or add. That doesn't make sense.

they don't add any value to the kids' education, but they do take up quite some time, and they do add quite a bit of unecessary stress to some kids. I know that because my eldest was very stressed about the tests last week.

they don't add any value to the kids' education, but they do take up quite some time, and they do add quite a bit of unecessary stress to some kids. I know that because my eldest was very stressed about the tests last week.

surely its children.... have you no etiquette...

surely its children.... have you no etiquette...

Ha ha!! I wondered when you'd pop up again!! :rolleyes:

Imam, have you actually seen the tests??

I have to work out a quote for someone, it is about equal in stress. Trust me, this is a decision made to protect bad teachers, not save kids from the 'stress' of having to learn to add and spell.

And lets remember this, they are NOT just for the kids, they are for testing to see if the teachers in our kids school are any good. So if our kids can't do simple math we can get rid of the teachers and get people in that won't epically fail.

Here is a sample question

2. Circle the numbers that add up to 100
64 32 16 8 4 2 1

OH GOD NO!!! MY CHILD'S BRAIN CAN'T COPE WITH THE STRESS OF ADDING UP TO A HUNDRED!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Back