Thousands of Key Stage tests cancelled after teachers boycot

Perhaps if they spent less time teaching the kids about religion and multiculturalism and more time on maths, English and social skills, we wouldn't need these tests to prove how dim they are.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps if they spent less time teaching the kids about religion and multiculturalism and more time on maths, English and social skills, we wouldn't need these tests to prove how dim they are.

Well said that man. Trouble is though, They don't actually teach the kids about multiculturalism. They teach them about any religion apart from Christianity (they give that a miss these days). Don't want the little sod's wearing crosses or owt ( probably against H&S policy).((even though little Achmed is running round with a ceremonial dagger).

Anyway's when I was at school, we sat end of year exams every year. I used to take my school report home for my parents to look at (usually just before I got a right good belting for coming near the bottom :( :( )

So what's different with these SAT's? As far as I know , kids don't take them every year.

Here is a sample question

2. Circle the numbers that add up to 100
64 32 16 8 4 2 1

OH GOD NO!!! MY CHILD'S BRAIN CAN'T COPE WITH THE STRESS OF ADDING UP TO A HUNDRED!!!!!

This is another point, the use of open book exams and multi choice questions. Its all ******, and made to make it easier to fudge a pass when you havent taught the kids very well.

The only exams worth taking are the ones that are closed book exams, essay or no answer given type questions. In such exams you either know the business of you dont, there no room for guessing the answer.

The hardest exam i ever took was a Systems Analysis exam, WE had 15 mins to read a Case Study, then the exam was 3 hours, 2 questions, both compulsory, 50 marks each. Score 40% to pass, 60% for a credit and 80% for a distinction. I wrote solid for three hours with a fountain pen, 18 sides of A4 and two large diagrams. I got the highest score anyone had ever achieved to that point. Thats was because I knew what i was talking about because i'd been taught the subject properly.

SATS and A-Levels are a farce.

Here is a sample question

2. Circle the numbers that add up to 100
64 32 16 8 4 2 1

OH GOD NO!!! MY CHILD'S BRAIN CAN'T COPE WITH THE STRESS OF ADDING UP TO A HUNDRED!!!!!
Did anyone see Griff Rees Jones program about Hong Kong in the "Greatest Cities in the World" series?

He visited a school class of boys aged between about six or seven. The teacher was giving them tests in mental arithmetic, calling out the numbers one after the other: 24 plus 35, plus 72 plus 89 etc. The kids had their hand up with the answer as soon as the teacher had finished speaking. Poor old Griff had a calculator with the sums written down for him. but he still could not keep up with the class.

My grandson, eight, goes to his local primary. Compared to others in his class he is good at arithmetic. The problem is that he does not know his tables. If you ask him what seven nines are, he runs through the nine times table until he gets to the answer. That's not his fault, the teachers have not taught him one of the basic building blocks of arithmetic.

When I was at school, a long time ago now, ;) most students took five or six subjects at 'O level'; and A level was usually two subjects, unless you were brilliant, in which case you took three!

Sponsored Links
The problem is that he does not know his tables.......................That's not his fault, the teachers have not taught him one of the basic building blocks of arithmetic.

My son doesn't know his tables either but got a gold award in a maths challenge a couple of years back and can give instant answers to maths problems I can barely understand. I posted a couple of these on here a year or two ago. Why not do a search (Maths homework for an 11 year old?) and have a go at them. And check out how invaluable your tables are at the same time!

Edit: Here you go://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=150052&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Bolo and D Hailham is the reference of not knowing their tables indicitive of the education system under Labour over the last 13yrs,when my daughters left school they didn't know them off by heart, but do they need to now because of calculators.Both my daughters got gold awards at school in maths so I don't know if it holds them back.

And check out how invaluable your tables are at the same time!

Edit: Here you go://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=150052&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Oompah "invaluable"!

they dont teach them to spell, write paragraphs, write essays, use correct grammar, neither do they teach times tables, or any of the other basic building blocks of the three R's.

I even had to teach my kids how t odo long division. I dont believe they even teach log tables, calculus, or about sine, cosines and tangents.

How the hell they expect kids to function ina job is beyond me, there coming out half educated and full of PC crap instead.

ffs are the teacher's not there to teach kid's behaviour included.

Isn't a child's behaviour down to how the parents raised it? If parents aren't prepared to raise their children to respect other people, then they shouldn't have had children.

IMO, I think we need teacher's with a bit more stern the old fashioned one's they seemed to be able to handle anything and keep the class quiet, in all fairness, they should bring back the caine, but then again.

I agree, but I think it has to start with the child at home. Children know that the teacher can give them lines and detentions but nothing worse. If they know that they're going to get bo**ocked when they get home then they might be less ill-behaved.

I had a total of 2 detentions in my entire time at secondary school, and both times I was absolutely ashamed of myself, knew why I had received them and felt I had earned it. Whereas some kids just see it as an inconvenience (or don't bother sticking around!)

they dont teach them to spell......................nonsense! Kids usually get a 10 word spelling homework exercise every week in primary

write paragraphs..........have just checked my kids homework book and NP appears fairly often.

write essays.............absolute rubbish

use correct grammar..........nonsense again!

neither do they teach times tables............you're living in the past mate!

or any of the other basic building blocks of the three R's. So your grandchildren are illiterate then??? I think not!

I even had to teach my kids how t odo long division...calculaters are cheap nowadays

I dont believe they even teach log tables, calculus, or about sine, cosines and tangents.

Wrong again, they teach these things to the bright kids who are able to grasp them.

How the hell they expect kids to function ina job is beyond me, there coming out half educated and full of PC crap instead.

there

I agree with you spelling is paramount!

they dont teach them to spell......................nonsense! Kids usually get a 10 word spelling homework exercise every week in primary

write paragraphs..........have just checked my kids homework book and NP appears fairly often.

write essays.............absolute rubbish

use correct grammar..........nonsense again!

neither do they teach times tables............you're living in the past mate!

or any of the other basic building blocks of the three R's. So your grandchildren are illiterate then??? I think not!

I even had to teach my kids how t odo long division...calculaters are cheap nowadays

I dont believe they even teach log tables, calculus, or about sine, cosines and tangents.

Wrong again, they teach these things to the bright kids who are able to grasp them.

there

You should really be more possessive with your kid's homework book bolo ;)

How the hell they expect kids to function in a job is beyond me, there coming out half educated and full of PC crap instead.

there
You should really be more possessive with your kid's homework book bolo ;)
The correct word is neither there nor their; it is they're. It's a contraction of they are.

I agree that you can use a calculator to do arithmetic, but, if you don't have one to hand, you're up the proverbial if you don't know how to do a calculation manually.

Writing NP to indicate a new paragraph is not enough. The teachers needs to explain to the kid why a new paragraph is required and the item re-written.

As for only teaching calculus etc, i.e any branch of mathematics which is more than just arithmetic, to "brighter" children, that is very degrading to those who don't understand the concepts immediately.

There is a story, probably apocryphal, about a party of teachers who visited Japan to study their education methods. At one stage they asked their hosts about remedial classes. The Japanese looked puzzled. "What is a remedial class?" they asked. So the visiting teachers explained that it was for kids who had fallen behind. "Ah," said a Japanese teacher, "you mean children who do not try hard enough!"

Perhaps to a purist, the correct use of english grammar and spelling is essential. It's really about communication. At the end of the day we all knew Lincs had spelled" there" wrongly, but we understood the word in the context it had been used.
Before I get shot down in flames, I'm not condoning the incorrect spelling of words, but just pointing out that as long as we understand the meaning of the message, we don't have to nit pick.

Perhaps to a purist, the correct use of english grammar and spelling is essential. It's really about communication. At the end of the day we all knew Lincs had spelled" there" wrongly, but we understood the word in the context it had been used.
Before I get shot down in flames, I'm not condoning the incorrect spelling of words, but just pointing out that as long as we understand the meaning of the message, we don't have to nit pick.
I think we need to bare in mind that there is a huge difference between KNOWING how to spell something and accidently making a spelling mistake or using the wrong word.

It happens, words are after all the medium that we use to share wisdom...they are not the wisdom themselves.

....however, to go back on topic, the teachers are not doing their jobs properly and refusing to do these tests in their schools are just a way of hiding that.

You cannot do math on a calculator until you know the calculations to do.

What percentage is 364 of 6758... a calculator will not help you unless you understand the principles of what you need to do.

At the end of the day we all knew Lincs had spelled" there" wrongly, but we understood the word in the context it had been used.
I doubt if everyone who read what Lincs said did know that he had spelt the word incorrectly.

I'm not condoning the incorrect spelling of words, but just pointing out that as long as we understand the meaning of the message, we don't have to nit pick.
That assumes that spelling the word wrongly, e.g. using a word which is a homophone of the correct word, does not alter the meaning.

Unfortunately this site is littered with examples of poor spelling (though some contributors may be dyslexic, which exonerates them), incorrect or even a complete lack of punctuation, no capital letters etc. You then have to spend time trying to make sense of what has been written - assuming, of course, that you can be bothered so to do.

Sponsored Links
Back