thousands of small spiders !!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
please help - we have literally hundreds or thousands (havent counted them all yet :) ) running around the edges (where lawn meets garage wall) and all over the lawn. I have tried using ant powder and raid spray but that seems to just kill a few.
Next hot day comes and they are back in their droves.

They are quite small, about the size of a 5 pence piece and move very quickly

Any ideas please ????

Sponsored Links
ant powder wont work as spiders can not read, :LOL:

May i suggest you go to your local vet and ask for nuvan staykill ( its NOT cheap) its designed for fleas, but spiders dont like it at all (and if it fails roll the tin over them)

I have these too - ha ha
I have a mop bucket which i leave outside - normally find loadsa dead ones in that when i come to use it !!
Don't really bother me though - so maybe not got as many as you, but still quite a few !!

When I find a spider indoors I always work on the principle that because spiders are carniverous, there is obviously something about that it is eating. When he has munched his way through any insects about the place then he will move out, or starve.

You can get sprays for killing spiders, arachnacides I guess they would be called.

But have you considered a more natural solution, try to encourage spider-eating birds into the area. Starlings and blackbirds both eat spiders. Starlings could be attracted by leaving bread out in the middle of the spiders. I believe they prefer eating creepycrawlies, so they will come down for the bread, but stay for the spiders.

Sponsored Links
Try companion planting. There are many plants that insects just don't like - greenfly don't like lavender, and almost every insect hates tea tree, although I'm not sure how easy that is to grow!

You should be able to find info on companion planting on the internet...I've just got interested in it because I have a real slug problem in my front garden and since I planted loads of lavender they seem to avoid that area. I'm going to surround my house in it! :LOL:

I saw a cooking programme on TV (River Cottage I think?) where they did everything by natural methods. They had mice, and wanted to remove them the friendly way. They called in these people who claimed to remove pests by simply ASKING them to leave! I cracked up laughing, but they reckoned if you offered a nice place to go (for the mice, a nice warm, quiet hidey-hole under the garden shed sufficed) and asked them nicely, they'd move. I was in hysterics until it actually worked. How bizarre is that??????????? I'm baffled to this day.

I'm not bothered about spiders, as long as they don't harm my plants they're not in anyone's way. The kittens like to play with them when they venture out anyway!

The chances are is that they are babies (ah) most will die naturally.
Leave them alone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back