Room Flooded – Please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Can you please help me.

With two days non-stop rain, this morning I found my ex- garage (now a room) flooded and took me a long time to clear out all the water.

Can you please advise how I can stop the water coming in, my garage has an apex roof and no water comes from the top, as yet I do not know which wall the water has come from and now with the rain stopped no waters coming in now so hard to tell. It has been over 5 years the garage was built but the first time this has happened.

Could it be rainwater that has overfilled the drains that could have overflowed?

The water has definitely not come from the front as earlier this year I has an extension done and linked the house and the garage, with garage door now walled up so garage is now like a utility room.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this happening again?

My house is on a hill and my neighbours land is higher to ours, at the back of the garage there is a small piece of land belonging to the neighbour opposite which is also higher to the base of my garage.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Impossible to solve a problem unless you know what it is? so you need to find the source of the leak, could be blocked drains, guttering or a combination.

All I'm reading in the news is thunderstorms and flooding. Dry as a bone in S.London, apart from a little shower last night which was f'all. The irony is that I really need it to pee down so my gardener pal can't work and can lend me his van! :evil:

How deep was the water, Is there any sign of the water coming in over steps etc.
I take it that the floor is concrete.
Does it have any cracks in it, having land around you that is higher and the amount of rain you have had it could be that it's found the easiest route to drain. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Check the underside of the garage roof. If it is wet you should suspect the seal between the house extension and the apex roof of the garage. Unfortunately with leaks the place where the water appears to be comming from is rarely the source of the problem. Good luck with it.

Penetrating water should be relatively easy to spot.

If its coming from above then the walls/ceiling above will be damp and stained.

If its coming from the ground, then there will be signs of the external ground being flooded and the route into the building will be obvious as water finds its own level.

Or if the ground is saturated then it will only come up from beneath the floor if there is no DPM

You can't progress this untill you identify the cause.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back