Garage flooded

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I would like to ask for advice on how to fix a garage that gets flooded each time it rains. The drive in front of the garage slopes away from the garage, except for the one metre just in front of the door, where it's mainly flat or it might even slope slightly towards the door. To make matters worse, the down pipe of the gutter discharges just there. See this photo:
ReeNXA

https://flic.kr/p/ReeNXA

The previous owner had a concrete threshold made inside, I suppose to stop the water entering, but water just gets through under the threshold. From the inside:
SsgK5h

https://flic.kr/p/SsgK5h

How to fix this? My first thought was making a trough from concrete so the rainwater from the gutter reaches the slope of the drive and does not accumulate. Or creating a proper barrier? The medium-term plan is to convert the garage, and I don't want water to come in under the new floor...

Sponsored Links
Is there no gully nearby to take the rainwater - it's unusual to have a down pipe discharging onto a hard surface

Sponsored Links
I know it's unusual, but no, there is no gully or anything. This collects only from the roof of the garage. (BTW the main downpipes from the roof used to discharge next to the wall...) House was built in '80, was this practice common at the time?

When you convert the garage and brick up the front could you simply alter the ground level so the water runs away?

Yes, I could do that, although there is a small section of wall of the house itself on the other side of the drive, and I don't want to direct water that way or approach the DPC. Besides, I would like to keep the front entrance to the garage, to have a utility room there. I know, so many constraints...

The house's rainwater used to discharge on the ground. This now goes to a tank and the surplus is diverted to the drain, but that's on the other side of the house.

Do you think if I manage to divert this downpipe so it doesn't discharge in front the garage solve the problem? It'd be a start anyway.

Worth a go, without seeing the general area its difficult to say, but I'd be looking at a permanent solution, trying to lose that amount of water next to the building isn't going to end well. You really need to look at piping it away somewhere to a soakaway if possible.

Soakaway isn't an option, unfortunately - it's the front of the house and there is absolutely nowhere to put it.

As the rest of the drive slopes away, if I can get the water to reach that part, it will flow down on the street where it will end up in the drain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back