Threaded Rod Strength Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Wasn't sure where to ask this but figured electricians probably use threaded rods as much as anyone to support cable trays etc.

I can find tensile strength of the different threaded rods online but can't find any info with regard to their strength on the side (ie if someone was to stand on them what would make them bend/snap).

If anyone can point me to that that would be v helpful.
Refer to linked thread - Mod

Related thread: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...strut-and-threaded-rods.575226/#ixzz71uHlQ4Q8

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
I would be doubtful you would find a chart like that as there are too many possible lengths & diameters.

I use them, mostly 8mm, and it is possible to bend them in half by hand, e.g. for ease of carrying or storage or disposal of left-overs

I have never had one break when doing this.

I am not exceptionally strong.

The steel studding is used under tension for suspension, so shear strength is not of interest but it must be listed somewhere.

Search on "plastic hinge" which is used to calculate one-time distortion and bending under exceptional load, e.g. in a car crash or building collapse. The deformation is permanent.

It takes a lot more force than elastic deformation, which is the working load steel will take and spring back to shape afterwards.

There are "stress and strain" calculation tools online.

This is not my field but I've come across it a few times.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back