Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would you worry about putting a thumb-turn cylinder in a sliding patio door lock? In theory, someone could smash the double-glazing, but how much risk do you think it is?

Before you ask, I would only consider a decent anti-snap cylinder.

Sponsored Links
Somebody could smash the window and take the keys, go for it if there is a good reason e.g. emergency egress.

Blup

No, I wouldn't worry about it, have one in my patio door.

Sponsored Links
Check what your house insurance requires. They are often very fussy about locks. Mine requires a locking bolt top and bottom of a sliding patio door in addition to the centre lock. Keys to be removed from the locks and concealed when not at home or when in bed.

Oh, I suppose that's one way of decreasing the likelihood of having to make payouts to house occupants if it burns down..
My insurance also says all windows to be locked and the keys removed when in bed except for occupied bedrooms. The front door key goes upstairs with me, I won't forget to pick it up if there is a fire. The other door keys are concealed fairly close to the doors along my exit route. Window keys are concealed fairly close to windows. There are several ways that I can get out if there is a fire.

It is all about slowing the burglar down, the first thing a burglar usually wants to do after getting inside is unlock other doors to provide themselves with as many opportunities as possible to escape quickly. Thumb turn cylinders make that a doddle for them.

If its any help

..under doc q of building regs front doors of new builds are supposed to have thumbturns so the powers that be clearly don't see it as a problem.

However on a front door with a letterbox I disagree lol...patio door should be fine

I would like the convenience of a thumb-turn but part of the reason for having locks with the keys removed when not in the house is that if a burglar gains entry through an upper floor, they have to smash their way out if they want to get out with anything bigger than a video recorder.

My insurance also says all windows to be locked and the keys removed when in bed except for occupied bedrooms. The front door key goes upstairs with me, I won't forget to pick it up if there is a fire. The other door keys are concealed fairly close to the doors along my exit route. Window keys are concealed fairly close to windows. There are several ways that I can get out if there is a fire.

It is all about slowing the burglar down, the first thing a burglar usually wants to do after getting inside is unlock other doors to provide themselves with as many opportunities as possible to escape quickly. Thumb turn cylinders make that a doddle for them.
Very strange to have stipulations like that on insurance policy , never seen it myself.
Dangerous in a fire if the first thing you know is the rooms are full of thick black smoke with zero visibility .

Very strange to have stipulations like that on insurance policy , never seen it myself.
Dangerous in a fire if the first thing you know is the rooms are full of thick black smoke with zero visibility .
I've seen the 5 lever BS locks for wooden doors and 5 point locking MPL's for upvc but they've been common place for years, never seen the 'take key out and hide it' stipulation though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back