Tidy up inside window frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Recently moved to a 60 year old bungalow.

The walls are narrow cavity and where I am used to the point inside the window being plastered off.

In this property it is faced off with some type of fibre board tiles. Picture attached.

There is also secondary glazing for soundproofing.

What can I use to tidy this up?

Thanks
Gerry

Attachments

• 8EDE9F94-CCD6-4728-8BE5-FA585C670784.jpeg
    8EDE9F94-CCD6-4728-8BE5-FA585C670784.jpeg
    223.2 KB · Views: 110
Sponsored Links
TBolt, good evening.

Looks like a 1960s attempt at soundproofing, not only the internal glazing but the perforated side boards, acting as a Helmholts Resonator

If the perforated board fiber board is in good condition generally, it could be "over-boarded" with some thin decorative ply?

Or if you are feeling brave you could try to see what is behind the perforated board, suggest you try poking a thin strand of wire into some of the holes to determine if the perforated board is backed by something solid??

Ken

Hi Ken,

I suspected this may be soundproofing. They also run across the top and some of them hang loose.

The top ones are held by metal pins in the frame.

Instead of ply could I get thin white pvc trim of 6 to 8 inches width to cover?

Gerry

Yes just google your local Eurocell branch and pop in.
At 6-7" you have options of 150mm 175mm or 200mm Utility board. They come in 5m lengths so have some measurements and a saw with you so you can cut it down for transport. Or the branch may deliver to you if you ask

Sponsored Links
Hi Gazman

Great, Google tells me there is a Eurocell branch less than 4 miles from me (y)

Many thanks
Gerry

The utility board is 8mm thick and comes in a variety of colours if required

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back