Tidying up fresh concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have just laid about 45m2 of concrete (about 85mm thick) containing underfloor heating pipes in my house. I was hoping for a smoother finish than I got. I did user a power float when it was partially set, but that doesn't seem to have made much difference. I manually scraped it with a metal trowel the morning after which has helped a fair bit too.

I was thinking of hiring a grinder to smooth it down a bit, not necessarily to a high gloss, mirror finish (although that would be good!), but so that it's reasonably smooth and then maybe using some special sealant/varnish to finish it off. I also thought about using some self levelling compound, but I don't think think that will actually make it look any better.

I've been doing a fair bit of googling over the weekend and have found the sort of machine I'd need and a baffling array of products I could put on top, but nothing of any particular help. I also can't seem to find a suitable contractor who might be able to do it, but perhaps because I'm not looking for the right thing.

If anyone has any experience doing this I'd be very grateful for some feedback please. Specifically, is using a grinder on rough(ish) concrete the wrong way to approach this, would it take a particularly long time to get a decent finish, what would you recommend I put on top (if anything)? Or even better, if anyone can recommend a company/person that does this kind of thing, that would be amazing (I'm in Somerset/Wiltshire borders if that helps).

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Ah, just bare concrete!

edit: Just to elaborate on that, I want it to look like smooth, bare concrete and it will all be exposed when finished, no carpet, no tiles. No idea what I'm actually going to finish it with, I was thinking some sort of thick, clear, varnish stuff, but I'm thinking it would probably be a good idea to get it as smooth as possible to start with, just not sure how best to do that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back