tig welder is it for me?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is a TIG setup ideal for a novice ?. The reason I ask, is that I'd like to learn a bit about welding to aid in some of the jobs I'm asked to undertake - namely welding lock cages to gates. At the moment I'm having to pass these jobs onto other parties. I've also a bulkhead that I'd like to weld into my van. There seems to be a variety of different types of welding equipment on the market, so any pointers would be appreciated.

Sorry if this is hijacking the thread. If it warrants a seperate thread, could the mods move it.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Personally i think the ideal starter sets are MIG.
Its quite a bit cheaper than TIG.
For welding gates and bits of cars dont bother with TIG, as its only realy anygood for clean metal.
A mig set will weld steel, stainless and ally, but with not such neat results.

and you can get away with carbon dioxide gas on a mig if you know a pub landlord ;) tho argon is better

Thanks guys. Any advice on suitable makes/models of MIG welder, and more importantly - which to avoid.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back