Tile Adhesive for 300mmx400mm tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Looking to tile my bathroom using 300mm x 400mm tiles.

Ready made adhesives state tile size no bigger than 300mmx300mm

So what to do????

Sponsored Links
Use a Cement based Powder adhesive :)

I've pretty much used BAL Single Part Flexible White everywhere I've tiled. It's a dream to work with.

You just mix it up your self and its reaction based rather than working like the ready mixed ones by water evaporation.

One of my walls is plasterboard. Is cement based still suitable. Not pva'ing the pb btw

I used that on ours, and also had plaster walls. I got Primer G from screwfix and rollered a coat of that on everything just as a precaution on the plasterboard (not sure if it needs it or not). But I would prime it in case :)

The Primer G is I think an Arcylic/resin based sealer. PVA is water based so best not. Use Primer G I did our entire bathroom with it and also Tanked the shower zone.

Sponsored Links
BAL seems to cost the earth @ £50 for 20kg and only covering 8m2.

I'm not spending £150 on adhesive!

What is a decent cheaper alternative?

A bit of a cliche i know

How big an area do you have to cover? I've used about 20 bags lol! Renovating a house.

I knew I'd be usinga fair amount so negotiated a deal. You can get it for about £29 a bag, best deal I got was £25 a bag.

20m2 - topps tiles selling for £50 for 20kg bag

This g primer is water based resin primer whatever that means

Yea they list it for that. I got it from another place previously for the £29 a bag. then I showed them the price I was getting it at and said I need another 10 bags can they do it for £25 a bag and they said yes as bulk bought.

Our bathroom was 20sqm. I had to use more in places for levelling out/packing things out, and solid bed floor for the complicated design I was working to which increased consumption considerably.

Yea Primer G I used first. Tanking kit was by Everbuild - Aquaseal - on amazon £32 per kit and used 2.

Adhesive wise if you think about it is cheap :) Work out the weight you get then work it back in to buying things like pritt stick ha-ha! Pay like 100x more for those.

Well, I figured use the best - minimise chance of tiles failing :) I was using heavy natural stone also. 12mm tiles which were a lot heavier than yours are likely to be.

Also it depends on the Trowl size you use. I used a 10mm bed one. You can use smaller like 6mm etc. But I'd take the bag and any coverage quoted with a pinch of salt. This applies to paint, everything...

If you view my album you can see the bathroom. I need to add more images :)

Just added this one as a before and after from a single view. Little more work needed to finalise but it's close :)

The Topps Tiles adhesive prices are a joke.

Just buy it online for half the price, including delivery. Or Webber or Mapei equivalents.

Adam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back