Tile cutters manual or electric

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to be tiling my bathroom and I have used both manual and electric tile cutters in the past. Will an electric cutter give the best finish, and any models to suggest.

Regards

Ian

Sponsored Links
Ian,
It's good to have both.Some cuts are better with the manual cutter while others are easier done with an electric one.Sorry not to be more specific.As regards to any particular model,if you are doing this as maybe a one off job at home,you wont want to spend hundreds on cutters, which is what some of these cost.Have a look in your local DIY shop and you'll find good tools to suit your job.

Roughcaster.

I have graduated from manual to motor cutters over the years. I initially picked up a cheap electric one from the local supershed, Focus/BQ etc, and found them all pretty adequate for a smallish job like a bathroom or kitchen

When I moved on to doing large rooms/large kitchens, repeat tiling etc a builder mate suggest me trying an angle grinder with a diamond blade. Best cuts I have ever seen, sharp as you like. I am now sold.

I still use the motorised one on fiddly little cuts but thick tiles - its the diamond blade every time.

As a DIYer I would suggest you have a go with an electric one - Wickes have one on sale at the moment for 25 quid. See how you get on.

When I moved on to doing large rooms/large kitchens, repeat tiling etc a builder mate suggest me trying an angle grinder with a diamond blade.
Your mate was spot on. I've been banging on about a decent blade in an angle grinder for tiling for years on here. Make sure you get a good blade with a continuous edge though - marcrist are superb. They're a bit thinner and really whizz through tiles (even porcelain). Check out tradetiler.com for marcrist blades. Think the model was the CK850.

Sponsored Links
started of with a little cheap one myself, got it from B&Q about £30 i think, but I am finding now all the tiles my customers want are large format naturals so I have had to invest in a big brooklyn bridge saw.It cost me a fair packet (£700 notes :eek: ) but wow what a cutter.

I did some 600mm x 400mm polished porcelain and in the same hotel 600mm x 600mm marble with it a couple of weeks ago cut through like knife through butter.

It all depends on the type of tiles your using. For a small job like this get something cheap.

If working on large formats i would always use my rubi tx 700n if possible.

Try people like
Buybrandtools.com or tradetiler.com etc for more info

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back