Tiled commersial floor expansion strips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have been advised by one tiler that the flooring in our new commercial venture will require expansion strips on the tiled floor we are proposing. The area is approximately 100 square metres, around 15 long x 5.5 wide. My query is are the expansion joints really necessary as I can't imaging that the tiles actually expand and contract that much, he claims we'll need one every 8 metres? Can anyone point me in the direction of a couple of photographs on the net so we can see if they look unsightly or not.

Additionally we've had one quote which I couldn't quite believe, what would be a sensible rate per metre squared for a pro tiler.

Sponsored Links
Yes it's not a bad idea to fit expansion joints - especially if the tiles are subject to sunshine through windows. 8 metres is about right for an expansion joint so you'll probably only have one in your area. The expansion joint should ideally be constructed with a foam packer and then sealed over the top with a sealant the same colour as the grout.
http://www.imiweb.org/masonrydetails/09_02.htm

As far as prices go, it varys on the tile but expect to pay a minimum of £25/m­² a metre (including adhesive and grout.)

p.s. There's a dedicated tiling forum ya know. ;)

Thanks, from the 2 quotes I've received we've been quoted £1,800 & £2,500 for the area. Will use correct forum next time :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back