Cracked floor tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help...advise please !

Have a new house...one year old. Decided to push the boat out and get the upstairs bathroom and ensuite completely tiled ( wall and floor ). We used the builder's recommended tiler...both builder and tiler have subsequently been fired by the developer

The problem is that the floor tiles in both areas have cracked....I would imagine that this is due to the little s*d not putting anything under the tiles on top of the ( what looked to me like ) chipboard. He has offered to come back and replace the broken tiles, but this seems like a waste of time as these are surely going to crack again. He is claiming that there is slippage in the floor itself. Am debating as to whether it would be sensible to rip the whole lot up ( tiles and board ) and replace with a decent base or just to take up all the tiles and reinforce the chipboard.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be very much appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If tiling over a wooden fllor 18mm ply should be used to provide a stiff enough surface for the tiles. Also, a flexible additive must be added to cope with the last few nanometers of movement. Chipboard is a **** surface to tile on. Rip and start again with WPB ply underneatn, possibly taking up carefully to save as many tiles as possible to re-lay.

Thanks.....was hoping not to have to rip ot all up, but I guess its the only sensible option....tiles are pretty much bu**ered as more are cracked than not, and if i do this, I only want to do it once

Thanks for the advice

stonefix adhesive will do the job, highly flexible.

you can take up tiles, then use 15mm ply onto the chipboard to re inforce.

or

you can use 6mm hardie backer boards www.pureadhesion.co.uk which are as strong as 15 mm ply, also waterproof

or

you can pour 5 mm of mira x plan self levelling which again will re inforce the floor.

You don't need to take up the chipboard, just strengthen.

Sponsored Links
mattytiler, the powers that be on this forum frown upon replying to old posts. As the post you replied to was over two years previous you'd think they'd have sorted the problem out by now.
Cheers...

p.s. do you have shares in that website you keep plugging? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back