tiled roof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
inside the roor space(loft)there is a lot of dust laying on the floor boards is this from between the tiles where they overlapand is it sand and cement, if so can this be renewed with fresh sand and cement mix and can it be done from the inside.

Sponsored Links
It is known as ' back pointing ' and was used in the past to help secure the tiles and also to cut out on any draughts because they didn't have roofing felt when your roof will have been built. It can be renewed from inside but it may be wise to have a good look at the outside of the roof as it may be getting to an age where it may need replacing.

DAZB, would this have been lime mortar, or was cement based mortar used as well?

It may have been lime mortar in some properties but all the back pointing I have seen has been normal cement based mortar.

Sponsored Links
I have just bought a 1930's property which has an unfelted clay tiled roof, should I look at felting the roof or would back pointing work just as well? I have got natural red tempest 44 clay tiles, and from looking at the daylight coming through the tiles, I am worried that driving rain could get through the gaps.

Static is right, also please read the forum rules

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back